1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Finally getting roof done.

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by chrisasst, Apr 21, 2013.

1. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    Finally got a contract signed to get my roof redone. $10,800. Not too bad IMO. Will be here in 2-3 weeks.

Here are the before pics. Will post the after when its done.
    Pallet Pete likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Signed the $15,000 contract for my roof and gutter job day before yesterday. Same thing. Two to three weeks. How many squares does yours work out to?

Stopped by the store and checked on buying a year's worth of Ramen noodles for food after paying for this.
    SmokeyTheBear and Stax like this.
  3. chrisasst

Loc:
    cortland ny
    Oh gosh, what did they figure... 600 sq ft ??
  4. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Replacing all of the decking and gutters and adding ridge venting. Decided to just bite the bullet and get it all done. Not even their suggestion. My attached breezeway and garage actually has a larger roof than the main house. Local family owned company that has been at it since 1979. If they can't do it right I don't know who can. When the house was built in 1985 they used OSB for decking. Replacing it with 28 squares of 1/2" CDX plywood and 110 MPH 30 year shingles.
    Pallet Pete and pen like this.
  5. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    When I did my roof a few years ago, what surprised me most was the price for the gutter, downspouts, etc.

30 year shingles (Certainteed Landmark I think) I put on the house in '09 were like 54 a square at the time. In '10 when I built the garage they were up to 92 a square. Haven't checked in a while to see what they are up to now.

pen
  6. chrisasst

Loc:
    cortland ny
    This company is offering a lifetime warranty. I asked them if that follows the person or house. They said it follows the house.
    osagebow likes this.
  7. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    These folks are warranting labor for ten years and I had it written in that they would handle material warranty issues with the shingle manufacturer for that period also since shingle makers are notorious for putting homeowners through hell to fulfill warranties and usually just blame the installer.

I would look into that "lifetime" warranty in detail if I was you. Because if you ever end up at the courthouse 7 years is considered "lifetime".
  8. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I lost all faith in shingles. My '30 year' ones were toast after 15.

I went steel two years ago (around 8k installed, area under roof around 1500 sq.ft, two ridges & two valleys, one odd hip-roof area over sunroom) - hoping for some longer life out of that.

Good luck!
    Joful likes this.
  9. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I did steel this past winter . . . the contractor has to come back to fix a few things on the punch list, but overall I'm pretty happy with the roof . . . especially when the few snow storms we had resulted in the snow slowly (and sometimes more quickly) coming off the roof without the need for me to dig out the roof rake.
  10. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Roofs leak when roofers do things wrong and even then, I'm not confident. I'll bet that we can find errors with each of the roof installs.

My current architectural composition roof is leaking after 5 years. It is leaking from an area with no pentrations or valleys. Just right in the middle. Roofing company is out of business, so much for that warranty eh?
  11. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    My 2 year old architectural roof leaked last week. It leaked around a non-exposed, properly installed nail. I still don't know how it did it, but you could see where water was weeping in around the nail. I tarred over the nail head and to fix it. This was right in the middle of the roof, closest thing was 5 feet away.
    Highbeam likes this.
  12. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks guys. I was dead set against architectural shingles and ridge vents both. Happy with three tab shingles and gable vents that lasted fine for the last 29 years but talked myself into both items and now !!!.
  13. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I'm assuming your house already has ventilated soffits? Are they going to seal up the gable vents? I've been very happy with my architectural shingles. That's all we've been putting on the homes on our family (cousins, aunts/uncles, grandparents, etc) since the 90's and haven't had a single issue.

Or are you joking about the change and I'm missing it. I tend to do that

pen
  14. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah when they built the place in 1984 they used perforated aluminum soffits the length of the house and garage. On the house they stuffed fiberglass batting in the soffits to block the air and put gable vents in each end. Then covered them with playwood. :rolleyes: I cut out the holes for the gable vents twenty years ago and have been using a power gable fan. Tired of replacing the burned out fans every three years and also of wondering when one is gonna catch fire up there. The last one crapped out and started sounding like a bucket of marbles being shaken. On a 95 degree day.

I calculated the intake and exhaust volume I need and the net area of the perforated soffit is over twice what is needed for the ridge vent. In the garage where they didn't cover the soffits you don't need a light in the attic to walk around because of all of the light coming in through the soffit vents so I think the house will have sufficient intake.
  15. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Sounds like they couldn't make thier mind up.

Planning on blocking the gable ends again I hope?
  16. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yep. For the moment I have a new solar gable fan in one end. Soon it will be installed on the end of the wood shed. ::-)
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  17. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna

That's the best use I've ever heard for one!
    Pallet Pete and osagebow like this.
  18. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    BB, mold issue resolved?
  19. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

That looks like a FUN roof to work on. Hope install goes well.
  20. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Bingo. Found the monster air leak that caused it and the ice damming. Fools left a huge space around the duct up to the attic from the basement and it was hidden by the loose fill fiberglass. Now sealed. That and cutting the humidifiers way back. Fogged the attic and killed the mold but rather than crawl around removing the mold residue and stains at the same time the roof needs to be replaced, just rip the decking off and replace it. Cheaper and easier.

Just in case, gonna fog the new decking.
  21. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    How do you "fog" an attic to kill off the mold?
  22. Lighting Up

Lighting Up Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Roc City NY
    Keep in mind the number one cause of shingle failure is to much heat in the attic...and it's happening to my roof too.:mad:
  23. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    You can rent a cold mist fogger at HD and use Concrobium to fog it. I just went ahead and bought the fogger knowing I wanted to do the basement too and the attic again. After the mold was killed I was looking at crawling around removing the stuff. Screw it. Gonna rip the top off of the place since it needs shingles anyway.
  24. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I put the gable fan in years ago after my neighbor had to re-roof his house after just nine years. The shingles were baked to a crisp. No ventilation at all in his attic and the broad side facing south.
  25. Lighting Up

Lighting Up Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Roc City NY
    Sounds like mine...14 year old roof and this year you can really see where the heat sits in the top of the roof... about 7 rows from the top you can see how toasted the shingles are and below that they are ok. I never thought I had a problem plus I have ridge vents. Looks like a new roof for me too with add vents. Need a smiley face that's crying...;sick (sick) will do for now.