1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Finally getting roof done.

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by chrisasst, Apr 21, 2013.

1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I now have a wireless temp and humidity monitor in the attic. Gonna have to be convinced that ridge vents get it done. I am skeptical. Always have been. On our recent 90 degree sunny days the attic was only 40 degrees over ambient with the gable fan. Gonna see if the ridge vent matches or beats it. If not the fan stays.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lighting Up

Lighting Up Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Roc City NY
    I notice a problem with the hot or warm air not moving on days with no wind... the air just seem to sit up there on those days. Last year was the hottest summer we've had so it was really noticeable. I hate to cut in the roof for added vents it just could be adding a possible leak down the road with winters here but spending for a new roof is worse... I guess.
  3. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    My roof is well ventilated with 3 gable vents at the top and perforated soffits all around the bottom. The cooler north sides were just as bad as the sunny south sides. Shingles just aren't what they used to be or should be.
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Good to know . . . more details though please . . . when I did my roof I noticed what looks to be some mold (black, but not fuzzy or anything like that) on the underside of my attic. I was thinking about spraying bleach up there in the summer . . .
  5. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Storm damage has us looking at new roofs. Getting quotes now.

FFJake, Hows the noise from the steel roof during rain? We have heard its very load.
  7. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Since it went on slats over the old asphalt shingles I don't hear anything other than the dripping off the eaves . . . if it was fastened directly to the roof plywood or if I had stripped off the old shingles it may have been a different story.

One thing I did find was that the cost of steel while high was almost comparable to asphalt . . .
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    TY

Our town has a code, We'd have to strip every thing off so the wood can be inspected(by town officials) before new roof can be installed. So all that would go down is ice shield(first 3 feet) and then tar paper(I think that's what they said). Its is still cheaper than the asphalt roof though.
  9. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Unless you put the steel right on top of the trusses/rafters (i.e. with no sheathing), steel will be no louder than shingles. Common urban myth. :)
  10. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Do you have vented soffit to go along with the ridge vent? Without the vented soffit, the ridge vent is useless. Need air coming in, to send the hot stuff out.
  11. Ncountry

Ncountry Member

Loc:
    northern NY
    Not a complete urban myth.. I grew up in an old farm house with a metal roof in a rural setting and I still miss the sound of a heavy rain on the roof. I do recall that it had to be a fairly hard rain.I am sure there was very little if any insulation in the old house though.
  12. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    From the times I've been under both kinds of roofs in the rain, I think as long as the roof is sheathed first there will not be much difference in sound between metal & asphalt over the sheathing.

Now if it's a simple roof with no sheathing (like a barn), and the steel is just on top of strapping over the trusses/rafters, that's a whole different story. The slightest rain shower will sound like a hail storm.
  13. Lighting Up

Lighting Up Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Roc City NY
    Yes Hog the vented soffits are open, our builder was very adament that they stay clear so the ridge vents work. Problem with my roof is on my south side, the shingles are in bad shape compaired to the north. Not that the north is in perfect shape but it is noticeable from the ground the cuffing and brake down on the south side. Thanks
  14. SIERRADMAX

SIERRADMAX Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    RI
    What's the price per square comparison between 30yr. architectural asphalt vs. standing seam metal?
  15. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I don't remember the price per square . . . but for my house roof the estimates I received were as follows:

Screwed down roof: $7,015
    Standing Seam (one company): $10,871
    Standing Seam (local company -- could not do the roof until the Spring): $9,191
    Standing Seam (another company): $13,800
    Standing Seam (local guy): $8,500 . . . although my roof was pretty bad and I ended up buying some OSB and paying him a bit extra to straighten things out so it came to a little less than $10,000 in the end

The estimate I had for doing the roof in asphalt shingles (just one quote from a co-worker): $7,400

I figured for a $1,000-$2,000 I could have a much longer lasting roof as the 30-year shingles only went something like 15 or 17 years. For me the extra expense was worth it . . . not to mention not having to use the roof rake after every snow storm.
  16. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Not an urban myth, this one is true. I removed the metal roof from my current home to install comp shingles. Much much quieter with the comp. The reason I removed the metal was due to leaks at the exposed screws. Under the metal was old tar roofing of some sort on top of 3/4" real wood decking. House built in 1963 with actual lumber and not sheet goods.

That metal roof was loud!
  17. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We put a new roof on the house + plywood decking + architectural grade 50 yr shingles + ridge vent, ten years ago. So far, still looking good. There's some moss I need to stay on top of but no leaks.
  18. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    Here are some after pics. They started yesterday ( tuesday). We were gone yesterday and today, so they started when we weren't here. Looks like they still have a day maybe two to finish up.

GEDC0672.JPG ....... GEDC0673.JPG ..... GEDC0675.JPG
  19. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Glad yours is in on the move. Torrential rains have thrown my guys weeks off.

Looking good.
  20. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Looks like they're doing a very nice job, Chris. Watch out for those drones. !!! Rick
  21. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    BG, you can run a strip of zinc metal along the top of the ridge, or even just hanging out under the ridge cap shingles, and that will stop the moss growth. You can also use copper, but the copper may send patina stains/ strips etc down the roof surface.
  22. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yeah, I need to get up there this summer with a roll of zinc and get this stopped. Right now I have been using MossOut as a temp measure.
  23. nate379

nate379 Guest

When I roofed my shed in 2011 I paid $123 a square for Certainteed 30 year shingles. The roof was almost the most expensive part of the whole shed! (7 or 8 squares... I forget now)

I was working in my attic last summer, about had a heat stroke up there. Was almost 85* :eek:
    pen likes this.