Finally getting the load finished

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Been working way too much recently (so much for retirement) and not been able to get much done on the firewood until the last few days.
So, I had about 2-2.5 cord left to get worked up and it's now all bucked and almost half split, with about 2/3 cord stacked.
My back felt like it was tied up in knots by the time I was done today, but what a nice feeling getting to this.
I also cut down a couple Poplar yesterday to keep the good stuff off the ground and to add a couple more stack posts. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'll get another couple Poplar cut down for the next stack and start getting those filled.
Here's some pics to prove I actually did it ( and no, they aren't from years gone by :coolsmile: ).

Attachments

• IMG_5096resize.jpg
    IMG_5096resize.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_5099resize.jpg
    IMG_5099resize.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 456
First pic is from yesterdays work. Only did 1/3 cord, and cut the Poplar.
Got the post holes dug and dropped in, but not set (too tired).

Attachments

• IMG_5106resize.jpg
    IMG_5106resize.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_5110resize.jpg
    IMG_5110resize.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 492
Got the 2nd 1/3 cord stacked, went in the house for a little break. Went back out because I forgot to put the gas can away, and ended up splitting another 1/3.
Can't believe it's getting almost dark by 4:30.

Attachments

• IMG_5116resize.jpg
    IMG_5116resize.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 446
PapaDave said:
First pic is from yesterdays work. Only did 1/3 cord, and cut the Poplar.
Got the post holes dug and dropped in, but not set (too tired).

That's a great idea, setting posts in post holes to support the stacks. Those rows look great!

Started doing it that way back in '08. Works real well.
Actually, when we first moved here, we did that in the front yard until I got tired of that and built the shed.

Nice work Dave. Looks great and the weather looks good too. Is that wood for next year?

The weather's been unusually mild lately. It was about 55 today and yesterday.
Nice weather for this.
That row is actually for '13-'14. The one to the right is for next year.

Those are neat looking stacks, good way to dry the wood.

Been missing seeing pictures of your nice rows of wood. Looks great.
I never assumed you weren't CSS'ing wood, just figured you didn't have time to post pictures. :)
Looks like the weather is good for wood processing, hope it hold for a few more weeks for you.

Learning to retire is an on going process.
Everyone thinks you have all kinds of free time.
I've been busier since I retired than ever before.
I figured part of it out : "Who did all this stuff before I retired ? No body", "it just got done good enough to get by" before I had to go back to work.
All those things I put off until I got "around to it". One "not mentioned", retirement gift is an "around-to-it" & there are sure allot of things that needed it. :)

how far are your posts apart? that looks fantastic.

PapaDave said:
Been working way too much recently (so much for retirement) and not been able to get much done on the firewood until the last few days.
So, I had about 2-2.5 cord left to get worked up and it's now all bucked and almost half split, with about 2/3 cord stacked.
My back felt like it was tied up in knots by the time I was done today, but what a nice feeling getting to this.
I also cut down a couple Poplar yesterday to keep the good stuff off the ground and to add a couple more stack posts. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'll get another couple Poplar cut down for the next stack and start getting those filled.
Here's some pics to prove I actually did it ( and no, they aren't from years gone by :coolsmile: ).

Stacks look great PapaDave, nice work.

zap

Dave, now you may need a day off! You are right in that retirement does not mean you have lots of extra time! Methinks it is better this way too. You stack really neat too.

Love those stacks. Wide enough to run the mower down thru it!

Nice work.

The intention was to semi-retire. I work with my HVAC/plumber brother, and have been for over 16 years as work allowed.
We've been just south of Petoskey for the past couple months (which is 1.5-1.75 hrs. away). Up at 5:30, out the door by 6:30-7, and back home about 5-5:30.
I'm not getting any younger, so no energy to work on any of this fun stuff when done for those working days.
Basswidow, funny you mention the lawnmower. I've been using the weed whacker back there, but bought a used mower this summer for $10. :coolsmile:
It'll fit through there, but won't need it 'til next year.
The row posts are about 5' apart, with each row section @16', which is 96'. With the addition of the 16' that I just added, they're now @ 112'.
Dave, weather's been off and on and I got done yesterday in time to cover the splitter, go in the house for a bit, then the rain started coming down pretty hard.
Nice clear day right now, so back out I go. I may get 1/3, maybe 2/3 cord more done today if I get out there early enough.
I think there's about one more cord to get split/stacked, with one more already in the trailer.
The rows really should be a little farther apart, since the winter sun doesn't hit the bottom of the back row. Maybe next year.

This past year - I had to mow once a week. Never got a break. In fact, the yard could use one more cut. So I am always considering mowing when I stack. I've got a 48 inch skag and I have to make sure I can get around! I really hate mowing!

Those are some of the straightest and tight rows I have ever seen! Did you shoot it w/a transit? :)

Very nice work!

I don't know 'bout that. They really aren't as straight as they might look.
I think DexterDay and Zap are the ones using a transit. :lol: Here's how I think. If I don't have time to do it right the first time, how will I find the time to do it over?
My brother's son has built stacks that fall over. That would drive me crazy.

Dennis, still trying to get 3 years out. Some of the 2+ year old oak has a bit of hiss in it. :-S
I had no time to get to my sis-in-laws this year. She has woods that are full of oak and maple, some of which is down and ready for me to buck.
If the snow holds off until I get this stuff done, I might make a trek or 2 over there this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.