Finally got a Fiskars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willworkforwood

Feeling the Heat
Jan 20, 2009
Central Ma
So many threads about Fiskars, so I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. The blades seem sharp enough, but I haven't been able to figure out how to split wood with it - maybe it needs a longer handle :lol:

Attachments

• Fiskars1.jpg
    Fiskars1.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 256
nah, the handles are long enough. It's all in the stance. Let the tool do the work for you. Let us know how this works out for you.

Be careful, it might be a better chipper/shredder vs splitter! :)

You're not moving fast enough. Make sure to get it fully extended over your head and then bring it down as hard as possible on the round you want to split.

Been looking at those myself, but I think my lawn is too big. Does it work well?

mayhem said:
Been looking at those myself, but I think my lawn is too big. Does it work well?
Before buying, I spent some time reading the reviews - lots of detailed stuff, which gave me a very good idea of what to expect. I went ahead with it mainly because the lawn has basically turned into a weed pit over the 20 years we've been here. We've got clay-based soil which apparently takes lots of TLC and $$ to keep ahead of - didn't know that until too late. So I'm not going to kill what's already shot. There is one area left with decent grass, and the Fiskars works well for that. But the rest, where various weeds grow tall fast is tougher. This mower will bend over (but not cut) anything that's taller than the cutting range (which isn't very deep). So the bottom line with this is that most folks will have to mow more frequently, in order to make sure it doesn't grow outside of the cutting range. I'm a couple of years ahead on wood now, and have more time available to do the extra mowing. Also, I'd estimate that it takes 5-10% more effort to push this (in quality grass) than the push power mower that I've been using for years - not a big deal to me. I wanted to do another (very small) bit to be greener, and don't regret this decision (so far ;-) ). I think it's fair to say this mower wouldn't be suitable for most people - mainly because of the extra mowing time. But I will also say that it's a quality machine - will built and very smooth to operate. Fiskars definitely builds high quality products.

Status
Not open for further replies.