FINALLY GOT A PIC POSTED!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
So this my first attempt at heating with wood.

Anxiously awaiting my Wood GunE100.

I've loaded my 7x12 trailer twice with 12" diameter by 10'long logs from my tree guy. (About 12 logs in all)
And I've loaded it 3 times with with 24" long blocks I got from the downed trees from Irene.
The Wood Gun take up to 26" long pieces.

This is what I got so far.
cherry, oak, maple, locust, ash and sasafras.

10077132.jpg

once I cut that leaner, I'll have more cherry, wouldnt want it to fall and damage my new pool liner ;-)

1007716d.jpg

1007714b.jpg

this is the back wall of my garage.
I want to stack the SEASONED stuff here so it will be easy to access for burning, since I'm putting the WG just behind that smoker grill.

What do ya think. If its dried I shouldnt have trouble with termites or ants. Right?

1007715g.jpg

this is the mess of a garage that I started emptying today.
Built a 10x20 shed (last year) with 8'6"walls and a 12 pitch roof, so it has a nice attic.

Should be able to get all that junk in the shed or in the garbage.
Than get my 65 impala ss inside so it doesn't totally rust away.
Giving me more room to process wood.

1007721n.jpg

Does anybody split 24" blocks by hand?
Can it be done or do I have to be a NFL linebacker to split that big.
Dont most guys split 16-18"
Some of them are 20"-22" in diameter oak!

I don't see any pictures attached to this post....Just kidding.

That's a sweet set-up you have, won't be long till you have it filled with wood.

I split big'uns all the time. Lots of sledges and wedges and knowing when to give up before you hurt yourself.

Welcome , Mike. Me sees some yummy black locust, there! :cheese: Should be no prob splittin' those rounds....especially the oak----- splits like butter. Looks like youre out in Suffolk....whereabouts? I'm in Levittown.

wood-fan-atic said:
Welcome , Mike. Me sees some yummy black locust, there! :cheese: Should be no prob splittin' those rounds....especially the oak----- splits like butter. Looks like youre out in Suffolk....whereabouts? I'm in Levittown.

I'm in Northport.

Nice. I work at Huntington Hosp.......LOTS of trees down around there from Irene....no shortage of wood right now. :)

Thats for sure.
I found a 22" diameter oak on a side street off of park ave.
I got about 30 feet of it!!
A real nut buster getting it in the trailer by myself.

Nice pics! That BL looks great. I think I also see Maple, Ash and Red Oak.
Lay those rounds down, they will suck up water and rot if they are left standing on end! :eek:hh:

I wouldn't really want to stack any wood up against the garage, even if the wood is seasoned. Stacked wood tends to collect bugs, mice, etc. Those things are fine out in the yard, but I don't want them near the house.

I'd stack that wood on its side but up off the ground on pallets, bricks, etc. it will dry better and not rot that way.

For a guy who just started you have a ton of wood already!

Nice scores! No oil man needed by you.

Yeah you can split the oak,locust and cherry by hand pretty easy that's how I do it. If it's clean w/o many branches/knots you can move along fairly quickly if it's knotty twisty stuff :shut: well then not so much.

Hey Jatoxico - where on this overpopulated Isle do you reside?

Glad you figured out the pic thing, Mike. I deleted the other thread, just for good housekeeping's sake. Rick

wood-fan-atic said:
Hey Jatoxico - where on this overpopulated Isle do you reside?

How you doing Fan atic? I'm keepin' it real in Stony Brook :) .

Woody Stover said:
Nice pics! That BL looks great. I think I also see Maple, Ash and Red Oak.
Lay those rounds down, they will suck up water and rot if they are left standing on end! :eek:hh:

Thanks, I realized that and started laying them down. I hope to split and stack it all real soon.

How about a pic of your stove, Im interested in seeing what it looks like.

ajreid said:
How about a pic of the car and the bike.

You can the the bike in the pic of the garage. Which by the way is almost totally cleaned out.

The car is the rusty bucket in the pic of the wood on the driveway. It used to be sweet.
My dad bought brand new when he was 24.
I gotta get it restored he would love to see that. and my son has been hounding even more me since he got his permit.

Black Locust rules. Seasons quicker than oak puts out the BTUs. If you let those rounds dry out a bit they practically split themselves. The only downfall to BL is its a little messy with that big bark, and stinks like pee when you burn it. LI wood burners unite!

+1 ....I agree Kidd. Black Locust DOES rule! But I do hate all the bark that is left behind after splitting....what a mess! And I have noticed that there seems to be alot more of us Islanders here on Hearth, lately. It's good to know I am not the only wacko transforming his suburban backyard into a wood lot. :p

Ratman said:
Honey, can you move your stuff so I can park my car?
:kiss:

Yeah exactly and, "Do you think its safe to stack those so high?"

DaFattKidd said:
Ratman said:
Honey, can you move your stuff so I can park my car?
:kiss:

Yeah exactly and, "Do you think its safe to stack those so high?"

...and - "Babe, do you think we could put some lattice around the woodshed so its prettier?"

This is one request that seems reasonable, and I have agreed to do it. I just havnt gotten around to it yet.

Dont worry......there WILL be pics when its done. ;-P

infinitymike said:
So this my first attempt at heating with wood.

Anxiously awaiting my Wood GunE100.

I've loaded my 7x12 trailer twice with 12" diameter by 10'long logs from my tree guy. (About 12 logs in all)
And I've loaded it 3 times with with 24" long blocks I got from the downed trees from Irene.
The Wood Gun take up to 26" long pieces.

This is what I got so far.
cherry, oak, maple, locust, ash and sasafras.

10077132.jpg

once I cut that leaner, I'll have more cherry, wouldnt want it to fall and damage my new pool liner ;-)

1007716d.jpg

1007714b.jpg

this is the back wall of my garage.
I want to stack the SEASONED stuff here so it will be easy to access for burning, since I'm putting the WG just behind that smoker grill.

What do ya think. If its dried I shouldnt have trouble with termites or ants. Right?

1007715g.jpg

this is the mess of a garage that I started emptying today.
Built a 10x20 shed (last year) with 8'6"walls and a 12 pitch roof, so it has a nice attic.

Should be able to get all that junk in the shed or in the garbage.
Than get my 65 impala ss inside so it doesn't totally rust away.
Giving me more room to process wood.

1007721n.jpg

Does anybody split 24" blocks by hand?
Can it be done or do I have to be a NFL linebacker to split that big.
Dont most guys split 16-18"
Some of them are 20"-22" in diameter oak!

I thought bikers with ape hanger was tough! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.