1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Finally got a splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by Constrictor, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Constrictor

Constrictor Member

Loc:
    Home of the white squirrel Missouri
    After splitting 3 cords of wood with a maul, watching craigslist i picked up a 5 year old but good condition 27 ton splitter for $600.00.
    I split a cord of wood tonite in 2 hours, man these things are fun! I went in half with a buddy of mine this is the way to go!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Yes, they're fun. As a Mechanical Engineer, I've always had an intellectual appreciation for hydraulics. The older I get as a woodburner, the more visceral my appreciation becomes. Between my splitter and my Fiskars splitting axes, I just might be able to keep doing this wood thing for a while longer yet. Have fun & be careful! Rick
  3. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Well the worm has turned for Constrictor... congratulations.

Still remember the day we got our splitter. If you've hand split for a number of years getting a hydro splitter is like losing your virginity all over again.
  4. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Maybe with an ugly girl! You must be doing something wrong!!! :lol: But yes, getting a splitter is great. I think I split 6 to 8 cords of wood when I got mine. Then came the stacking...ugh!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.