finally got a splitter!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
well, it's done! i chose the north star 37-ton h/v splitter last friday. (yup-black friday)
thanks to all who tolerated my questions. i feel that i made a educated decision thanks to all the advice i received from this site. all in all, i was a lengthy process for me.
narrowed it down to the 26-ton h/v iron and oak and the north star. the reasons i went with north star 37-ton were-cycle time, 16 gpm pump, honda 270cc engine, larger 5"cylinder, 4-way wedge (which i got them to add to the purchase at no cost-saving $80), warranty of two years (vs. one year with i/o) and of course, the cost of the package was less than i/o. i came in at $1825 tax and 4-way included. the store told me it would take around 4 hrs. to assemble. they loaded it into the f-150 with a fork lift (of course) but 99 and i unloaded it ourselves. assembly time was 2 1/2 hrs. i did have to buy my own oil for the hydraulics, that added $90 to the deal.
tried it out tonight, after work, in the dark, of course. now maybe i'll get the rest of the logs cut up!

Best of Luck. Sure helps to have a splitter but I still buy my wood for the most part but this year there is so much in the woods that it may pay to get a splitter.

Life as you know it has just changed for the good.

Enjoy.

Congrats on the splitter yooperdave! A new toy to play with. I mean, work with. ;-) Got pics?

Congratulations ! I'm sure that You'll smile every time You run a round through your new machine for at least a year .

Dave, Sounds like a great splitter. Keep us posted how that 4 way wedge works out.

That is lots of machine for the money! You will like the auto idle down feature too.

yooperdave said:
well, it's done! i chose the north star 37-ton h/v splitter last friday. (yup-black friday)
thanks to all who tolerated my questions. i feel that i made a educated decision thanks to all the advice i received from this site. all in all, i was a lengthy process for me.
narrowed it down to the 26-ton h/v iron and oak and the north star. the reasons i went with north star 37-ton were-cycle time, 16 gpm pump, honda 270cc engine, larger 5"cylinder, 4-way wedge (which i got them to add to the purchase at no cost-saving $80), warranty of two years (vs. one year with i/o) and of course, the cost of the package was less than i/o. i came in at $1825 tax and 4-way included. the store told me it would take around 4 hrs. to assemble. they loaded it into the f-150 with a fork lift (of course) but 99 and i unloaded it ourselves. assembly time was 2 1/2 hrs. i did have to buy my own oil for the hydraulics, that added $90 to the deal.
tried it out tonight, after work, in the dark, of course. now maybe i'll get the rest of the logs cut up!

Congratulations on your new splitter.

zap

Congrats
We need pictures of that "Beast" for sure. 37 ton :bug:
Way to go, good deal!

Congrats Dave! Thats the only H/V unit I know of with an OEM 4-Way option.

Pics or it didn't happen! Actually a short video that showed off the 4-way and idle down would be awesome if you're so inclined.....

"Well, it’s done! I chose the north star 37-ton h/v splitter last Friday."

What, they didn't have any heavy duty models?

Cool Dave

I haven't had to split wood since I was a kid. And I couldn't imagine how much work it would be now. I'm sure you are going to love it!!

Billy

Congrats -

He probably still splitting wood !

basswidow said:
Congrats -

He probably still splitting wood !

I heard Dennis is on his way now to the u.p. to offer some "instructions" ....;)
You do have a red milk crate?

Congrats on the splitter, 37 ton should handle that aspen just fine! Lol......

4 way and 16 gpm, and 16 sec cycle time? I think you'll be happy....keep us informed! Sounds great to me!

Yooper, do you have a milk crate?

:lol: LOL
Does color matter? :)

As long as its not metal, orange , or grey ! :)

yooperdave said:

Congrats yooperdave!! Would like to see some pics of this new toy in action or maybe a video. Visuals speak volumes!! It will save your typing fingers. LOL

37 tons is a big momma and it is unlikely you will ever find an "unsplittable" round. the closest I've seen is a crotch piece that just turned to spaghetti mush when compressed by the wedge.

richg said:
37 tons is a big momma and it is unlikely you will ever find an "unsplittable" round. the closest I've seen is a crotch piece that just turned to spaghetti mush when compressed by the wedge.

My 25 ton SpeeCo ran into this type of round at the end of this past week. It was a 4 trunk crotch round. No matter which way I would split, there would just be chunks of stringy wood stuck in varying directions by more stringy wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.