Finally Got Around to That Downed Maple Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
Because I am a teacher I have all summer long to work on my wood pile, but that has proven to be too late in the year for drying for the next burning season. So I like to get as much as I can done during February Break and Spring Break.

This maple tree was a true windfall back in October, but I haven't had the chance to get at it until now. With the snow and ice I can only cut up about 1/8 of the whole thing, so that's what I did today. All told, once the snow melts and I can see the rest of it, I think I can probably get close to an entire cord from the whole tree, especially if there aren't many rotted areas (none found so far!).

Go ahead an make fun of my little Homelite electric and my Kobalt battery powered saws; but they do the job!

(The trunk of the tree can be seen in the background)
52629686_2039442056092644_3639588233324527616_n.jpg
52712847_351931868750691_1276842924688015360_n (1).jpg

I was a training session for Appalachian Trail Volunteers this weekend and they pointed out one big difference. Chain saw chaps are not rated for use with electric chainsaws.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
What ever works :)

I was a training session for Appalachian Trail Volunteers this weekend and they pointed out one big difference. Chain saw chaps are not rated for use with electric chainsaws.

Wow, great point. Never thought of that. Do they have safety gear that works with the electrics?

Interesting on the electric saw safety. So when my son starts using a saw might be better with a small gas over a battery powered?

I wonder if that applies to all models.

I know my Ego battery saw has a pretty low-intensity soft start. I have to make sure it's not resting on the wood I'm trying to cut as it will 'torque out' if there's almost any load on the chain at start-up. I'd be somewhat surprised if it was capable of doing any damage until it's had a chance to spin up out of its soft start phase.

If an electric saw suits your purpose that's fine, but do understand they do put out a ton of torque.

If an electric saw suits your purpose that's fine, but do understand they do put out a ton of torque.
Actually electric has more torque than gas, lb. Per lb but there are other factors involved.

Re-read my post, you and I are in agreement.