Finally Got It Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

Nov 17, 2007
Huntsville, AL
This is a new experience for me - the first pellet stove I've ever seen in action. It's a big occasion for our family. I thought I had a problem because the auger wasn't putting any pellets in the burn pot. After empting most of the pellets out of the hopper so I could see the auger turn, I realized the auger just turns very slowly and after about 3 minutes the pellets started dropping. Other than the new stove smell stinking up the house, everything went great. I'm very pleased with this stove and it is quiet as advertised.

It is also amazing what you may learn if you read the Manual.
LOL

All kidding aside the Empress ROCKS!
Get the air control dialed in and your good.

Just remember to clean the burn pot out as often as posible.
If you are using a thermostat I recomend only using the Stat mode in the Hi low mode and NOT the ON off Mode
because the burn pot will build up with Cycles of On and off and it might not relight when you need it the most. Due to the clinker build up in the burn pot liner
Also make sure the Ash pan is always latched tight.

Congrats!

Are you going to post a pic of it in action?

I read in the manual about having a professional adjust the air intake damper, but there are none in this area so I'm experimenting with it. The flame builds up and then dies down depending on the supply of pellets, I guess. I have it on manual heat level 3 because I have a couple of windows open to air out the smell. It's about 38 degrees outside and supposed to go down to freezing tonight. Here's a picture. I'll have to do another post for the other picture.

Attachments

• empress-lit1.jpg
    empress-lit1.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 706
with out a Magnahilic this is the best way to dial it in.
with the stove on Hight and running for 15 minutes after start up.
Push the air rod in. you will see a tall ugly lazy flame
thenslowly pull the rod out
as the flame comes down, more intence and be more yellow
when the flame looks like it is not changing anymore stop pulling out.
If you have sparks popping this is normal
but you dont want to see PELLETS popping out.

If you get Brown or Grey soot on the glass and firebrick this is normal
if you have BLACK soot on the firebrick and glass pull the air out a little more.

If you have the air out all the way and no change in fire then you have an air leak or ash pan or door is not shut.
Or your venting in not correct.

congrats .. now enjoy the warmth

Philip, glad to see you got her going! Just in time for the cold weather too! Congrats!! :coolsmile:

Thank you all for the words of incouragement and Rod for the helpful advice. We decided not to let it run during the night so turned it off after about 4 hours. (The weatherman must have changed the forecast because it was actually warmer outside this morning than it was last night - it didn't get down to freezing as originally forecasted.) I checked the burn pot liner this morning and there were no clinckers. I'm burning Somerset (hardwood) pellets from Tractor Supply and they appear to be low ash as advertised on the bag. I set the air damper this morning per your instructions Rod. You're right, the Empress rocks! Even our two Maine Coon cats are venturing a little closer and when I poured the pellets into a bucket they came over to see what I was doing with their food! (-:

That's a good sign when the fluffy ones start gathering! My maine coon loves the fire, he sprawls in front of it and just soaks up the radiated heat. That's an awesome stove, I love the styling of the Empress, very clean and balanced not too much flair but still retains that old time charm.

Dang! Now I really am jealous! Where on earth did you find Coons in AL? lol I've been wanting one for years but around here they are as scarce as hens teeth. Most people don't even know such a breed exists!

About 11 years ago we went to a cat show in Birmingham and fell in love with the Maine Coons. We had to go to Kentucky to get Katie but we got Isaac from a breeder one town over (about 15 miles). He weighs 21 pounds now but they are both so gentle and spoiled, of course! This picture was taken quite a few years ago.

Attachments

• Isaac Katie.jpg
    Isaac Katie.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 530
That's a good looking pair of kitties! My only experience with a MC was as a child where a large male vertually ran the show at the local stable. That cat acted more like a dog than a cat. If he was taking a nap on your saddle you'd best plan on riding bareback that day. :lol: Do you find that sort of attitude in yours?

Hey guys you are getting of subject
If you would like I can move the Cats subject to a new topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.