Finally got it!! with pics NC-13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Well with all the help I recieved here and from ESW (fantastic customer service) I can duplicate a good long clean burn.
Right now I am getting about 4-5 hours with stove top temps hoovering around 550+- for about 3hrs then they slowly drop.
Still haven't really packed it full but we are getting close. Now I'm working on how to arrange the splits so they cave in on themselves and keep the hottest coals at the foot of the next split to be burned, and not rolling to the front or into the glass.

I fixed the problem with me, myself, and I.

CleanBurnin, I must have read your post a dozen times until it clicked. Thank you, but your not the only one whose posts help, sorry.

I was not letting the stove establish a good draft before shutting her down. I was raking the coals forward and using dry wood though.
Now I let the flue get to about 450 with an IR gun and shut the door a little more and wait about 1 minute then close it completely. I then wait until the flue stabilizes at whatever temp it wants without getting too hot somewhere around 400+ then close the air down 50%, and WAIT. Once it stabilizes again I check the flue temp with the IR because the the mag thermo reacts very slow to the fast changing temps of the thin wall pipe. If it's above 350 I close down the air 50% of the balance in rod movement, and WAIT. Then I then turn the air down in steps until the pipe stabilizes at around 300. I've found with my setup with a pipe of 300 the stove can run and hold 550+- until the fuel is gone. No smoke with a pipe temp of 300 either. I then check from time to time the temp of the mag thermo to see if it starts to climb. Since the the stove is now kinda stable the temps will increase or decrease at a slower rate and the mag thermo can keep up for maintenance checks.

I've also blocked one of the doghouse holes. I found that one open hole is enough to keep a good flame in center to ignite the larger splits in the back of the stove towards the end of the burn.

Thanks to all who had an opinion or solution to my operator error.

Here's a pic of the stove cruising at 550+-, 45min to and 1hr after reload. If you look close the mag thermo is at 300.

Attachments

• NC-13 running great.jpg
    NC-13 running great.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 859
Looks great I think those are very good stoves for the $$... Now you can relax and enjoy the heat...

Ray

great picture, enjoy!

Nice! I just picked one up this week. I hope to install soon.

I found that if you take out the plug for the ashes and replace with a fire brick you can load alot more wood. The plug was a PITA anyway.

Thanks guys. In a way I'm glad I had some trouble, had been too easy I never would have learned as much as I did about stove operation. In the future is a problem comes about I feel like I can figure it out myself rather quick. Im toying with idea of adding one length more of pipe outside. Right now she runs great but if I had a bit more draft I would be able to close her down a touch more and increase my burn times and I think I would get a better show too.

Great stove, great price, great service, great site. You get more than what you pay for with this stove.

Charlie

ckarotka said:
Now I let the flue get to about 450 with an IR gun

how high up the flue are you taking your IR reading ?

appreciate your info on working with the 13

carinya said:
ckarotka said:
Now I let the flue get to about 450 with an IR gun

how high up the flue are you taking your IR reading ?

appreciate your info on working with the 13

About 18" up from the flue collar. I don't let it much higher than that and sometimes lower depends on the load. The past two weeks I have spent alot of time on the couch reading and watching it burn. I still haven't perfected it yet but I know it will come with time. Sometimes she likes it hot around 600 stovetop so I let her cruise there if she wants. It's a fun learning curve. My wood for next year will be more consistant also since it's all been cut split and stacked already. This year I had to buy a cord in early Oct and it could be better. Also so far my glass is really staying clean.

LOVE THE PICTURE, MIKE YOU SHOULD BUY THIS PICTURE AND PUT IT ON YOUR WEBSITE......

Ernienomoreoil said:
LOVE THE PICTURE, MIKE YOU SHOULD BUY THIS PICTURE AND PUT IT ON YOUR WEBSITE......

ha ha. I'd be willing to trade the rights for maybe a ...........nc-30 :p LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.