Finally got Jotul F500 running!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcore

Apr 8, 2008
Northern Sask Canada
Wow, what a grunt.

Decided to cheap out. Purchased a used but in great shape Jotul F500. (saved quite a bit imo) Finally got the hearth built and then on to the stove pipe. Long story short, ordered Selkirk stove pipe with both adapters. They were crap! I would have had to severely butcher the adapters to even get close to fitting it on my flue collar. So, sent it all back and Ordered some ICC ultrablack stove pipe. Besides being cheaper, looking much nicer and a much better product all around it was much easier to fit onto my flue collar!

I will post pictures of the setup tomorrow when I get time. With the stove being used, I didn't worry about breaking it in and have it running at 450 right now with the secondaries blazing away. Wife loves the look of the stove and I'm happy that it actually burns! For a while there I was thinking it might just be an expensive plant holder.

Smell a bit of smoke so I might have to replace the gasket on the side load door. I have it locked right now as it is in a corner installation. Also, the wall on the left hand side it pretty hot so I have a fan blowing on it. I'm thinking it may be leaking a bit so I will order a gasket and replace that when the temps calm down.

I would just like to thank the forum for all the great help and encouragement! No doubt I will have many more questions and I hope in the future to even be able to answer a few myself.

-30 celcius here right now so it was about time I got it running.

Just a quick pic. Long shutter, so flames turned out blurred.

736809531_oj4Er-M.jpg

Great picture, enjoy the new stove! Good luck with it!!!

Great picture! You will love that stove, I see other threads with stove owners pulling their hair out trying to get their stove functioning correctly. This stove has been so easy to use and very efficient.

webby3650 said:
Great picture! You will love that stove, I see other threads with stove owners pulling their hair out trying to get their stove functioning correctly. This stove has been so easy to use and very efficient.

Ya, I'm already loving it. Far from running it correctly I'm sure, but for the time being I'm very satisfied. Lots of experimenting to do. I don't have great draft so I'm not sure if the smoke I'm smelling is from the side door gasket or if I opened the front door too fast on reloads and the smoke smell is residual.

Anyways, lot of winter to keep testing. Just would like to keep it as smoke free as possible as I have a 1 year old girl and obviously am more concerned about indoor air quality than saving money.

That's a gorgeous pic of a gorgeous stove! I think Jotul and Blaze King have to be the two most popular manufacturers as of late!

How close is the stove to the walls? It can put out the heat. How tall is the flue on the stove?

How tall is the flue on the stove?

That's not too bad if straight up. However, if there are a couple elbows, then it should have some more height.

BeGreen said:
That's not too bad if straight up. However, if there are a couple elbows, then it should have some more height.
That is about what I have and straight up, I say the smoke is coming from the front door when re-loading. When I open my front door it will smoke out unless I have a very well established fire, even then I can still smell it a bit. I only load from the side and have no smoke problems.

Hardcore said:
Side door is locked and the left side is about 11 inches from the wall.
Great looking stove. Good buy. Only I would really consider repositioning to a better spot and use the side door to load. Your draft height is marginal and the constant mess with the front door gets old fast. Also it would not take much to have a flaming log role out when loading, esp. if your not the only one loading the stove. Be safe.
Ed

I'd keep a broom and vacuum nearby if your front loading this stove.. it can be a real mess, as Im sure you're aware of.

Great picture and a great stove . . . but I'm a bit envious . . . I really, really like the blue black enamel. ;)

colebrookman said:
Hardcore said:
Side door is locked and the left side is about 11 inches from the wall.
Great looking stove. Good buy. Only I would really consider repositioning to a better spot and use the side door to load. Your draft height is marginal and the constant mess with the front door gets old fast. Also it would not take much to have a flaming log role out when loading, esp. if your not the only one loading the stove. Be safe.
Ed

I'd love to have another spot I could move it to, but the fact is I have to live with my decision to have it in a corner installation. I do feel I am suffering from low draft and I do have negative pressure in the house. Does anyone know if you can balance a Vanee to get rid of the negative pressure?

firefighterjake said:
Great picture and a great stove . . . but I'm a bit envious . . . I really, really like the blue black enamel. ;)

It is nice that is for sure. I likely wouldn't have gotten it had I not saved on picking up the stove used.

I'm with the others...very nice stove and an excellent picture!!

Kenny
John 3:16

Status
Not open for further replies.