Finally got most of my splitting done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I had over two cords of mostly oak sitting in racks from a scrounge over a year ago, took yesterday morning off and got most of it split, I used my fiskars and for the tough ones my 5 ton electric splitter. Im sore today. I didnt realize I hjad a fair amount of white oak which is more difficult to split than red oak, had to use the splitter for those.
I have a small pile left (pic with the splitter) to split but should get is split and all stacked Saturday. Now I have room to get a couple of cords or more delivered, these guys are selling wood for $135 cord so I figure why kill myself for that price. Of course I never turn down a good scrounge but at least I'll be all set for two years and Ill be working on 2014-15 wood now.View attachment 6561 IMG_5061.JPGIMG_5062.JPGIMG_5063.JPGIMG_5062.JPGIMG_5064.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5060.JPG
    IMG_5060.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 120
Love the smell of fresh split wood.
Nice pictures.
Yep, white oak is tough, when it dries, it's even tougher.
Nice stacks :)
Good job!

I'd take $135/cord green, great price for hardwood.

I'd take $135/cord green, great price for hardwood.

Yeah, its $135 for ash or a mix and $150 for oak, I have 5 cords of oak so I told them to bring me ash. Whats the price for green in your area?

Yeah, its $135 for ash or a mix and $150 for oak, I have 5 cords of oak so I told them to bring me ash. Whats the price for green in your area?

Looks really nice...Your a machine Weatherguy!

For the extra $ I'd get more Oak?:cool:

Personally I'm sick of ash, and even though it seasons quick, Oak gives much better heat n burn times.

Hiram, I doubt I'd ever get sick of ash. Love it! Yes, oak will burn longer but we don't have a lot of it. Usually burn that only during mid-winter during the nights only.

A cord of green hardwood will run anywhere between $200 and $225 here. That's a great deal.

$75-$100 for tree length.

Looks really nice...Your a machine Weatherguy!

For the extra $ I'd get more Oak?:cool:

Personally I'm sick of ash, and even though it seasons quick, Oak gives much better heat n burn times.

I will get some oak too after I see how much room I have left, for now I want some stuff that seasons quicker.

Hiram, I doubt I'd ever get sick of ash. Love it! Yes, oak will burn longer but we don't have a lot of it. Usually burn that only during mid-winter during the nights only.​

Thats what Im doing with oak from now on, Im saving it for the coldest days and Ill burn ash, maple and whatever else the other time.

I'm close to Snots prices here, maybe $25-40 more in this part of Massachusetts. Grapple loads cost me about $100/cord.

Hey weatherguy how big of round can you split with a 5 ton electric splitter? Just wondering I have seen them for a good price at stores just wasnt sure how well they would do.

Hey weatherguy how big of round can you split with a 5 ton electric splitter? Just wondering I have seen them for a good price at stores just wasnt sure how well they would do.

Ive split some over 24 inches but its red oak, I tried to split a huge ash round, I think it was 30 inches but its too big and clumsy, I split those in half or quarters before I use the splitter. Usually on a real big round Ill just split the whole thing with my Fiskars. If I split too much by hand my elbow and shoulder tendontitus acts up so I try to keep it to a minimum and let the splitter do some of the work.
I use these things I got from baileys to handle the rounds and man does it make things so much easier.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=1518 GRN&utm_source=base&utm_medium=cse

Very interesting, goes to show they have something for everything. I try to use kids but that dosent always work out lol. I may need to invest. Thank-You.

Status
Not open for further replies.