finally got my insert installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leepster

Nov 10, 2008
UP Mich
Well I finally got my insert installed (hampton HI300), works pretty good but now that the furnace isnt running the pipes froze in the crawl space!!! So i'll have to figure that out now. UGH :mad:

Congratulations. Sorry about the secondary effects of heating just the house. It's a subject frequently discussed here and an important thing to watch. I like to let the heating system cycle once or twice a day to prevent issues. Are the crawl space vents still open or sealed for the winter? Be safe when thawing out pipes. Use a hair dryer or hot air blower and not a torch. Flame in confined space with cobwebs can lead to sudden fires.

Congrats on the insert, you have good taste :) Sounds like time to insulate. You already spent the big dollars, insulation is relatively cheap if you do it yourself, plus you will continue to save!!!

Congrats on a great stove, I have one myself. Installed about a month ago and burning 24x7 after first break in fire. It's a great looking stove and throws some great heat. I'm still waiting for missing part that attaches the surround piece's to the stove. Be careful when you load it up, it will take off before you know it and the stove pipe and stove surface (inside air chamber) will start to glow red.

You may want to cycle your other heat when temps get below 10 degrees. I have a walk out basement with a thermometer near my hot water pipes. This morning the temp in the basement near the pipes was a chilling 38 degrees. We hit -5 degrees overnight so the oil fired hot water heat must have cycled a couple times because I have them come on automatically when the inside temps fall below 60 degrees.

Yep, I know about thawing pipes with a torch, knew a guy who did that and pipe exploded. if you dont know where the ice is and you start heating you produce steam in the pipe and it can and will burst. The stove is working well but my wood got a little wet so its not working to full potential, but next year I will fix that issue also.

Status
Not open for further replies.