Finally got my Model 74

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PARKBOY

Dec 24, 2010
CENTRAL KY
and got it installed. Man this thing is HEAVY when you have no help. Here is a few pics.
104_0862.jpg

104_0864.jpg

104_0865.jpg

104_0866.jpg

Work with a guy who has a model 74 Buck. Has now idea is an EPA stove, doesn't even know what that means nor does he know anything else about it other than it burns wood.

Nice stove!!! I think I had to deal with the paint curing smell for two days. It was not real bad but bad enough. We just built a few small hot fires and closed the basement doors, opened the windows and used fans in a push pull arrangement. Then we were off and running, hot!

I say hot because this stove runs really nicely HOT! I use mine as an insert in an exterior chimney so it probably will be different as it is free standing. The way I know it is running well is it will burn reeeeeeal sloooooow with a nice slow light show. I run mine to as hot as 650F but try real hard to keep it at 625F. It will hold heat real well because of its density and use little wood.

My wife can't figure out that it is not always needing to be fully engulfed in flames like a wild fire to be running correctly. So when she is loading she goes through way more wood. I can assume her way the flue temps are pretty high as the flames are shooting up the flu. She is still learning but she gets it.

Congrats on the stove, we love ours!

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
Nice stove!!! I think I had to deal with the paint curing smell for two days. It was not real bad but bad enough. We just built a few small hot fires and closed the basement doors, opened the windows and used fans in a push pull arrangement. Then we were off and running, hot!

I say hot because this stove runs really nicely HOT! I use mine as an insert in an exterior chimney so it probably will be different as it is free standing. The way I know it is running well is it will burn reeeeeeal sloooooow with a nice slow light show. I run mine to as hot as 650F but try real hard to keep it at 625F. It will hold heat real well because of its density and use little wood.

My wife can't figure out that it is not always needing to be fully engulfed in flames like a wild fire to be running correctly. So when she is loading she goes through way more wood. I can assume her way the flue temps are pretty high as the flames are shooting up the flu. She is still learning but she gets it.

Congrats on the stove, we love ours!

Im trying to get rid of the that smell now. I thought id was oil or something but I guess it could be the paint. Burned a small fire in it last night and let it cool all night then got up this morning and burned another for about 3 hrs and now Ive started to crank it up and man does it put out the heat. Still getting that weird smell though.

And you will! When I crested 625F I got the smell, slightly again. There is no smell anymore though. Wait till you get her real hot! I don't know the thermal envelope of your home but if it is tight and good location for stove, it will put off some heat!

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
And you will! When I crested 625F I got the smell, slightly again. There is no smell anymore though. Wait till you get her real hot! I don't know the thermal envelope of your home but if it is tight and good location for stove, it will put off some heat!

1600 sq ft newer double wide thats pretty tight. I have the OAK installed.

That's a nice looking stove. I really like the Bucks. Enjoy the heat.

jeremy29 said:
I like the pedestal setup!

Someone on here suggested that burning a candle or two in the room with the stove will help to eliminate the stove paint curing smell.

Thanks. i tried the candle and it didnt work. Also have a kettle with potpourri on top the stove and that isnt working either.

Status
Not open for further replies.