Finally got started with the splitting today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
So finally this afternoon I got the splitter out and began the annual splitting. Sadly, it didn't last very long. The old back has been giving me fits and this didn't seem to help it much so I knocked off after only a
half hour. Maybe will try again Monday as I'm hoping the work will help the back. We'll see.

The picture was taken just before I began the splitting.

Getting ready to start splitting.JPG

Reactions: quads and timusp40
uote="Backwoods Savage, post: 1100472, member: 1624"]So finally this afternoon I got the splitter out and began the annual splitting. Sadly, it didn't last very long. The old back has been giving me fits and this didn't seem to help it much so I knocked off after only a
half hour. Maybe will try again Monday as I'm hoping the work will help the back. We'll see.

The picture was taken just before I began the splitting.

View attachment 64507[/quote]

Dennis,
Take it easy with that back. Nothing worse than that kind of pain. You know your body better than anyone, so I'm sure you know when to call it quits for the day. If you aren't carefull, you'll wind up with a bunch of volunteers from the Hearth showing up to help!
Tim

Reactions: quads
Hang in there Bud. Ease into that work so your back can acclimate again. If I was closer I'd lend you a hand.

Sav, hope the back will get feeling better.

zap

Dennis, take it easy with that back! You're not gonna run out of wood so take it slow.

I feel your pain Sav. I stayed away from anything firewood related today because my back got to flairing up. At least we can thank the Good Lord we are ahead. I like your plan though ease into it and maybe it will limber the more you do.

+1, ease into it, you'll git 'er done. How much cordage do you have in that pile of rounds to split?

Sorry to hear that Dennis, I managed to get mine split but having a hard time stacking it. The back doesn't like the constant bending over that stacking seem to require. I'll get 'er done, but it's going to take me a while. wish I could come help you. The splitting didn't bother me to bad.

Take care of yourself Dennis!

Sorry to hear your back is giving you fits. Give it a rest, the wood will wait.

Sorry to hear of that, Dennis. Due to good planning, you have plenty of splits dried already, I reckon. Sure hope your back rights itself real soon.

Feel better sav. Good you decided to stop. Have you ever tried one of those back supporting braces? Just a thought, be well.

Hey Guys, this is not something new. It was back in 1984 when I had the injury that was to change my whole life so I've learned to live with it. But sometimes one just has to do something come He!! or high water. Simply put, I work when I want to and do as much as I can. Some days I can and some days I can't. You can bet I'll be trying to get back into the splitting this week yet along with about 100 other jobs that need tending to. Now if my wife would shape up and do some of these things.....

Oh wow - that kind of talk would be RISKY where I live ("now if the wife would shape up..."). Mine has even threatened to take away my saw (MUCH worse than a time-out).. heheh

Get the monkey off your back and you'll feel better!
:p
Ray

Hey Guys, this is not something new. It was back in 1984 when I had the injury that was to change my whole life so I've learned to live with it. But sometimes one just has to do something come He!! or high water. Simply put, I work when I want to and do as much as I can. Some days I can and some days I can't. You can bet I'll be trying to get back into the splitting this week yet along with about 100 other jobs that need tending to. Now if my wife would shape up and do some of these things.....

Dennis,
Hello again from KY. Gosh, all of the posts from concerned members. Yeah, old body problems that you have to live with. I understand and have a few of my own. Don't think we are ready to throw in the towel just yet. Keep your mind and body in the game as best you can and the good lord willing that will be for many years to come..And about the wife, she is my best friend, we make fun about them, I but couldn't think about making it without her.
Take care,
Tim

Take it easy there pal. Dont need the both of you to be out of commission. She needs you to take care of her while she gets better.

Oh wow - that kind of talk would be RISKY where I live ("now if the wife would shape up..."). Mine has even threatened to take away my saw (MUCH worse than a time-out).. heheh

Gark, that was one of those tongue-in-cheek things. My wife is recuperating from knee surgery and has a hip surgery already scheduled. But that won't stop me from picking on her. :)

LOL Dennis that's the spirit!

Ray

Gark, that was one of those tongue-in-cheek things. My wife is recuperating from knee surgery and has a hip surgery already scheduled. But that won't stop me from picking on her. :)
Yeah, and when she is done becoming the Bionic Women, you are in big trouble ;lol

Time will tell. >>

Status
Not open for further replies.