Finally got the pyrometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade

Sep 23, 2008
Manitoba
Checked the temp of the secondary chamber before it goes into the boiler, it was 2200 degrees F. Exhaust from the stack measured 150 degrees F. How does one calculate efficiency ratings and what other temps and times are needed? This was with wood, so i want to get it figured out before we move on to the chips and sawdust.

Had time to play with the settings on the furnace, shut this down ,opened this and i managed to get a constant burn at around 2380 degrees F ( 1300 degrees Celsius). This tool is a must for finding your best burn, I was able to increase my burn time with the same amount of wood with a hotter output.

I've been running mine a lot hotter over the past few weeks, and my wood consumption seems to be down as well, despite the cold temps.

Yes--what kind of boiler do you have. That's a pretty impressive amount of heat transfer. I'm surprised the secondary chamber gets that hot.

flyingcow said:
what brand/size is your furnace? and how do you take the measurements?

I think this is the gentleman that has the home built sawdust burner. He has a post earlier that shows a couple videos of it burning. Its pretty impressive.

Its our homemade furnace. To take the measurements i installed a thermocouple in the secondary chamber which has a digital readout. Its interesting to watch how closing or opening a vent a 1/8 moves the temp so much. I closed my secondaries down by half and got 200 extra degrees.
As for heat transfer, I will try to explain with pictures next post.

Thanks sdrobertson.
Here is my heat exchanger inside my 3000 gallon tank. The boilers end cap is still off for final cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_3881.jpg
    IMG_3881.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3883.jpg
    IMG_3883.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 188
Status
Not open for further replies.