Finally got the Vermont Castings Intrepid II installed with chimney liner!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afptl

Dec 16, 2010
Northern KY
HI All,
Just wanted to share the joy and give an update. Finally got our wood stove installed! We had a heatilator fireplace, but needed to get more heat going in the house. Wanted something for when it is more mild out, and in case of a power outage. We have a huge Crosswinds wood furnace in the basement, but you can't use it without electric. Also, I think it is oversized for our home, (1300 sq ft. ranch over basement) so it often is way too hot in here. "the little tike" as the boys call it, fit on our hearth, and is to provide heat on milder days.

The boys and I (ages 15 and 13) installed a chimney liner, cap, and appliance connector from Magnaflex Industries. You can contact this guy at: [email protected] for prices. I thought the price was good, and I had called down to Magnaflex Industries. I just looked them up online and they were here in KY! I talked to a sales rep named Rainer, and he was SO KNOWLEDGEABLE! He explained it all to me and patiently answered all my questions. I would buy it again in minute! Feel like I saved some $$ on it. We did not line it and the stove is just fine. We did install a block off plate. Stove has a nice draft to it. We ran 6 inch round stainless liner down an 8 x 13 inch clay flue. When we got into the installation, we went to take the damper handle off and it broke off. It has rusted off. So the timing on the stove was great! Pretty much an all day project!

As you can see in the pics, the wood mantle is exactly 30 inches from the top of the stove. that's what the manual recommended clearance is. Would you install a mantle protection plate anyhow?

Stove is small, but house is well insulated home. It's keeping us surprising warm on a little bit of wood. Getting the hang of the CAT too. Really helped reading all the posts about CATS here on Hearth.com. I highly recommend buying a wood stove thermometer and putting it on top like the manual suggests. It really helps and tells you what is going on! thanks to all!

~Tonight we put a cast iron skillet on top and made pancakes! Yummy!! Yes, I got stove cooled down a little lower temp! Also, I helped my daughter and was right there with her. Fun way to teach her how to make pancakes!!

Attachments

• Vermont stove Jan 2011 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Vermont stove Jan 2011 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,299
  • January 2011 002 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    January 2011 002 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 746
  • beka pancake Standard e-mail view.jpg
    beka pancake Standard e-mail view.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,118
Very cool, great family memories! Now go find some wood for next year... :cheese:

Yes, we need to keep working on the wood! My boys cut this pile this fall. Mostly all downed stuff here or 2 miles away at my dad's place. They are good workers. They wanted to cut a bunch early so they could go deer hunting and not have to cut wood instead! Hubby helped them for some of the loads, but they probably did 90% of it. They are 15 and 13 year old farm boys, and I am trying to help them develop a good work ethic!

wood pile picture was taken Jan. 1, 2011

Attachments

• wood pile Jan 1 2011 Small Web view.jpg
    wood pile Jan 1 2011 Small Web view.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 487
Looks great Ann, congratulations. Nice to see you are bringing the whole family into this adventure. You daughter looks like she's really enjoying it. She has a smile like sunshine.

My girls love cooking on the wood stove. Every once in a while Pasta night is cooked in the basement. Great looking stove. Enjoy!

p.s. If your boys are bored one weekend, feel free to send them on up to NH to do a little wood cutting- as an incentive, we have great deer hunting right out my back door!

Ann from KY said:
HI All,
Just wanted to share the joy and give an update. Finally got our wood stove installed! We had a heatilator fireplace, but needed to get more heat going in the house. Wanted something for when it is more mild out, and in case of a power outage. We have a huge Crosswinds wood furnace in the basement, but you can't use it without electric. Also, I think it is oversized for our home, (1300 sq ft. ranch over basement) so it often is way too hot in here. "the little tike" as the boys call it, fit on our hearth, and is to provide heat on milder days.

The boys and I (ages 15 and 13) installed a chimney liner, cap, and appliance connector from Magnaflex Industries. You can contact this guy at: [email protected] for prices. I thought the price was good, and I had called down to Magnaflex Industries. I just looked them up online and they were here in KY! I talked to a sales rep named Rainer, and he was SO KNOWLEDGEABLE! He explained it all to me and patiently answered all my questions. I would buy it again in minute! Feel like I saved some $$ on it. We did not line it and the stove is just fine. We did install a block off plate. Stove has a nice draft to it. We ran 6 inch round stainless liner down an 8 x 13 inch clay flue. When we got into the installation, we went to take the damper handle off and it broke off. It has rusted off. So the timing on the stove was great! Pretty much an all day project!

As you can see in the pics, the wood mantle is exactly 30 inches from the top of the stove. that's what the manual recommended clearance is. Would you install a mantle protection plate anyhow?

Stove is small, but house is well insulated home. It's keeping us surprising warm on a little bit of wood. Getting the hang of the CAT too. Really helped reading all the posts about CATS here on Hearth.com. I highly recommend buying a wood stove thermometer and putting it on top like the manual suggests. It really helps and tells you what is going on! thanks to all!

~Tonight we put a cast iron skillet on top and made pancakes! Yummy!! Yes, I got stove cooled down a little lower temp! Also, I helped my daughter and was right there with her. Fun way to teach her how to make pancakes!!

Congrats Ann that is a nice looking stove and hearth! I like the smile on your daughter's face best!

Stay Warm,
Ray

Such great family times cooking on the wood stove. Enjoy it. A wood stove is so much more than a heat source.

Suddenly, I find myself craving a pancake. :lol:

Those little Intrepids are a great looking stove, nice install and pancake.

thanks for all the nice comments! this was a major thing for our family to get it bought, chimney lined and hooked up! It gives me a peace in the back of my mind because I can get some heat in our home without electric. Not sure if I bought the right sized stove, but I bought the one we could pay cash for, and met my husband's wants. He wanted to be able to see the fire. I really wasn't sure which way to go--the intrepid that heats 1200 sq feet or the next size up encore? that did 1900 sq ft. I was worried the big one would just run us out of here! I looked pretty hard to find the Intrepid and looked at a lot of other stoves on CL. I needed the measurements to work out, needed to keep the hubby happy, and have it be the right price so we could buy it! And have a flat top I could cook on if I needed to and work with no electric! Kinda a tall order!

Also, I thought we would really burn those pancakes up but it was easier than I thought. Now I know I will probably be able to cook something on it should we be with out power. Yes, God gives the perfect peace, but I worry about keeping the kids warm if the power went out. Here in KY about 2 years ago we had these ice storms and my daughter's family lost power for about 2 weeks. My mother in law lives 15 miles away in an all electric house, so she has no heat if the power goes out. I just felt responsible for the mother in law, and our children to prepare in case life doesn't go as smoothly as we would like!

We are really enjoying the Intrepid! It makes a lot of heat for not very much wood! My hubby is amazed! We do have nice seasoned wood, so I guess that is half the battle. It does not hold a fire overnight, and I kinda figured it wouldn't because the firebox is so small. But it is easy to make another fire, empty the ashpan and get ready for the day. Now to just find a nice stainless steel tea kettle to keep on top for instant hot tea and chocolate anytime!

Status
Not open for further replies.