Finally got the wood shed up! YEAY! Pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Well, at long last, the shed is up! I think this year it'll just be a pallet floor. Wow, I'm tired. I sunk the 4x4s in cement a few days ago after work, notched out the roof rafters yesterday(after work), and the rest (plywood and asphalt roofing) today...with a little help from my son ,as you see. Now I just have to move my stacks in there. I think that I can get 5 cords in. Its 16w x 6.5d. I coulnt have done it without y'all ;-)

Attachments

• shed frame4.jpg
    shed frame4.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 757
  • shed frame5.jpg
    shed frame5.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 774
  • shed frame 6.jpg
    shed frame 6.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 782
  • shed frame 7.jpg
    shed frame 7.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 799
  • shed frame 8.jpg
    shed frame 8.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 774
Looks great. Quick question, did you have to notch for the rafters. I know on a deck you do not notch but then again they are laying level. I would think the notching adds alot of time and is more difficult to get level.

Yes, Golf, I did notch, but only notched for the front, and only an inch/half inch angle. This gave me the right pitch and was way easier,id imagine, than if I notched for both the front AND back.

What holds the roof to the posts? Around here we get tons of wind and without "Simpson ties" that roof would have a good chance of blowing into the neighbors yard. We had a 50x100ft building at work, build kind of that that wood shed but just an open front. Whole roof came off and flew a good 40-50 ft from the building!

That is an EXCELLENT question. Ive thought about this today, myself. Right now, the sleepers are just toe-nailed to the joists. I dont THINK the roof would ever take off like a kite, but you are correct- it is POSSIBLE. I have been kicking around a few different ideas of securing it- the most likely would be to use some type of teco connector. What is a 'simpson' tie (same as a teco?). Any other ideas?

wood-fan-atic said:
. What is a 'simpson' tie (same as a teco?). Any other ideas?

54 cents a piece at home depot there a good idea to do just from some extra support and stablity. mine to are toe nailed in with decking screws plus those. they arent goin n e where

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 635
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 627
Yup. Much like a teco. On my way to the Depot now. Gracias. :smirk:

Nice job! One of these days I'll get motivated and build one :cheese:

Looks good. Good point on the roof too. Get it secured.

As I was building mine, someone suggested the same thing. I went right out and got those ties and installed.
They must be working, 'cause the roof is still there. :cheese:

I like it!
Sure is a popular design :)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/59851/#681609
Good job.
You might think about a 2X4 "X" brace on each end & an angle brace on the back & front.
just to help it not wobble.
But if you don't get much wind or snow load, it should hold up fine.

Good idea with the metal "tie down downs".
I tied mine down similar, in every joint, all the way into the buried pillar blocks.
But I get big winds.

Thanx, all. I wish I could do that 'I dream of Jeanie' thing and wiggle my nose and all my stacks would move THEMSELVES into the woodshed! :smirk: .....Or was that 'Bewitched'? Either way, Im dating myself,here.

That's for sure!

The last big storm we had I'm told they recorded gusts as high as 110mph!

bogydave said:
I like it!

But I get big winds.

Hope all your pemits are in order, as you probably know you can't build nothing on Long Island without a permit. Damn Google Earth!!!!!!!!

Yeah- my $9,000 in taxes 'PERMITS' me to build whatever to @#%* I want on my property! >:-( I was told I didnt need a permit as long as it doesnt have a permanent floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.