Finally: Harman 52i install (heavy on pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew

Jul 21, 2014
Central MA
The wife and I moved into this Cape in April. It only took a couple weeks to realize that we can't afford to heat with oil. HOORAY, today's 52i install means we won't have to! Thank you to all the Heath community for sharing advice and experience. I documented this install to show a buddy who's considering a DIY install. The process took two hours for the two professionals with 5 and 30 years experience.

This first-floor masonry fireplace had a brass door set (soot marks where the brass frame had been). Got a few bucks for it on Craigslist.
IMG_6129.jpg

IMG_6141.jpg

The two installers invited me to poke and around and ask all the questions I could think of. They dropped some serious knowledge on me. The Hearth forum made me confident in our stove choice, but these guys' extra insight settled it. They absolutely revered Harman, explaining how the company was superior in their experience, and raved about the 52i specifically. One of them uses the standalone Accentra at his home and the other burns cord wood just because it's free for him.

Damper removed and no birds in sight.
IMG_6142.jpg

Aligning the "cradle" as they called it.
IMG_6144.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

Cradle is secured with two masonry screws.
IMG_6146.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

A gasket seals to these openings when the stove is installed: air intake on the left, combustion exhaust on the right.
IMG_6148.jpg

Last edited:
So far so good.

Secured the 4" stainless steel chimney liner with silicone, then screws, then tape. In the installer's words, "I like overdoing this part."
IMG_6150.jpg

IMG_6154.jpg

Just tape for the air intake, which only extended a few feet into the chimney. I expected it to be the full length, but he explained how 1.) it's unnecessary material cost and 2.) it's less resistant for air flow when that narrowest channel is shorter than full chimney length. Makes sense.
IMG_6157.jpg

IMG_6158.jpg

Cutting a damper block-off plate out of galvanized steel. The salesman called this a VSK.
IMG_6152.jpg

Damper block-off plate is fitted. I asked if it needed insulation on top to prevent hot interior and cold interior forming condensation. He said this cavity behind the stove and under the plate wouldn't get warm enough for a very significant difference.
IMG_6153.jpg

One gap at the edge of the plate was too small to mount another piece, so he shoved in a folded piece of insulation with a barrier on one side.
IMG_6156.jpg

IMG_6161.jpg

The mount is ready to receive the insert. Notice that jealous look on that oil-heated force hot water radiator.
IMG_6165.jpg

Houston, we have contact!
IMG_6166.jpg

Last edited:
Next on the to-do list is power control:
- Get a UPS with mod sine wave (52i owner's manual suggests a couple brands/models). Power goes out, the stove detects different line condition, and automatically begins the shut-down to prevent smoke back-drafting into the house when power is completely lost and the combustion motor stops. It's a simple but brilliant feature.
- Get a generator for those long power outages I keep hearing about in New England.

Any other recommendations for making this pup run smoothly and consistently?

- Get a UPS with mod sine wave (52i owner's manual suggests a couple brands/models). \

Just a question and this may pertain only to the 52 Harman or to other pellet stoves as well. It might be one someone else can answer as well
Why mod sine wave and not pure sine wave?

Since the wall outlet gives approximately pure sine wave, a UPS supplying pure sine will make the stove think everything's hunky-dory and just keep running. It burns the battery's charge in a short while and then sudden power failure risks back-draft into the room (unless natural draft can compensate for loss of the combustion motor). Harman control boards now recognize modified sine wave as a signal that "the end is near". It immediately begins shutdown and vents the remaining flue gases before backup power runs out. It resumes burning as usual if pure sine power is restored before cooling down too much.

Brilliant!

Ok so by using the mod sine it can tell it is running on back up batts and proceed with a shut down. Wow nice feature

Seriously. The installers raved about Harman for several reasons, that feature being one. Another fact I hadn't heard before: they said Harman casting is now made by the same company that used to do Vermont Castings back when they were known for being the best casting around.

Did you just use aviation snips for your block-off plate or did you have better tools?

I need to make one in the next few weeks for the upcoming winter but only have snips. Thanks!

Did you just use aviation snips for your block-off plate or did you have better tools?
I need to make one in the next few weeks for the upcoming winter but only have snips. Thanks!

Bingo. He used left-hand aviation snips just like these:
0745e90b-cc07-42ef-bd06-cdc25568cc75_400.jpg

Great pics and narratives. You indicate they ran the OAK pipe a few feet in to the chimney....did they use a vented cap?

Great job and thanks for sharing all the details. Do you have any pictures showing what was done at the top, where the 4" flue exits? Did you need to drill any holes to allow air to enter from the top for the OAK?

Status
Not open for further replies.