Finally have 3 years worth put up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Forum is slow so I figured I'd post some pictures.

I've had the wood on hand for a while but I've finally managed to get it all put up. I still have a small amount that needs splitting but I'll get to that in the fall.

6 cords here, 3 cords are mixed oak, hickory and walnut cut split spring of 09, 3 cords of ash from Dec. 09.

DSC_0292.jpg

2 cords here spring of 09 silver maple and oak.

Oak-SilverMaple5-2009.jpg

Poplar spring 09 haven't measured but we'll say 5' by 15'

Poplar3-2009.jpg

2/3 cord here, 1/6 cord is hickory, rest is Dennis wood who knows how many years seasoned. :lol:

DSC_0293.jpg

Should be close to 7 cord here. 2 cords silver maple, 1/2 cord white oak, the rest white ash. These stacks will refill the spaced out stacks near the house the spring before the winter they'll be needed. Reason they're stacked close to each other. This is the twisted ash I've complained about, notice the stacks are just pathetic! :lol:

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

Fantastic! 3 years ahead is a great achievement. Dont rest just yet, build a simple post and tin roof woodshed to put it all in. The time you save not fiddling with tarps and fall-overs will let you get many more years ahead. Plus your wood will get crispy dry. Best thing I ever did for my wood burning endeavor.

Tin roof 6x6 posts and chain link fence to hold it all in. Simple and effective. I might dress it up with sawn lumber siding on the snowy end.

woodshedsnow.jpg

Nice portfolio rdust. Even your 'pathetic' stacks look better than mine.

Thanks guys!

glenng said:
Fantastic! 3 years ahead is a great achievement. Dont rest just yet, build a simple post and tin roof woodshed to put it all in.

That's the plan at some point, I'm going to deal with it this way for one more season before building the shed. My wood will still be seasoned outside for a year or two before going into the shed once I have one. It's not bad this way, I move a weeks worth of wood into the garage at a time during the burning season and that works well.

SolarAndWood said:
Nice portfolio rdust. Even your 'pathetic' stacks look better than mine.

Those stacks are just awful, only reason they're still standing is they're all stacked against each other! I only see those stacks when I take a walk so I'm ok with them being sloppy. :lol:

3 years thats sweeeeet!

smokinjay said:
3 years thats sweeeeet!

Could be more or a little less depending. This year I burned about 4 1/2, I didn't start burning till Nov 1st though and we had an early spring. It was also my first year so my wood should be better this year along with my burning technique. I'm figuring for 5 a year and figure I have 15+ on hand so I should be close.

My biggest consumer is my wife, she works from home and likes to keep the stove burning hot! Fire just starting to coal, stove top down to 400*, house at 78*. "It's getting chilly in here, time to load the stove!" :lol:

Nice Job Bro!

That's a lot of hard work in those pictures :cheese:

Dennis is a great inspiration.

Cheers,Hiram

rdust said:
Forum is slow so I figured I'd post some pictures.

I've had the wood on hand for a while but I've finally managed to get it all put up. I still have a small amount that needs splitting but I'll get to that in the fall.

6 cords here, 3 cords are mixed oak, hickory and walnut cut split spring of 09, 3 cords of ash from Dec. 09.
Good going. Nice job. I'm working on getting myself in the '3 years supply club' too. I still have a bunch of splitting to do- I'm still gathering at this point.

I just scored 2 cords of Red Oak from a Craig's List ad, but I sure did have to work hard for that wood. OTOH I just finished that job and the homeowner was happy with all the wood being gone- then he offered me another ~3/4 cord of Oak rounds stacked and ready to go, from his back yard. My luck has run real good, that's for sure. :p

it looks good.

You and I are both in the same situation. I started burning this past winter and I am now three years ahead also. Well i have about a cord in rounds that will put me at 13 cords once split. My wife thought i was crazy when all i did was cut split and stack wood this winter when i was laid off. I did not make any money this winter but it sure allowed me to get ahead on wood and save money.

Thanks guys! I really want to cut more but I'm cutting myself off for now. I have some box elder to pick up from a cousin for shoulder season wood, other then that I'm done till fall.

Hiram Maxim said:
Nice Job Bro!

That's a lot of hard work in those pictures :cheese:

Dennis is a great inspiration.

Cheers,Hiram

Couldn't agree with you more! Dennis along with others on this board really helped to make my first year burning go very well. :)

rdust said:
Thanks guys! I really want to cut more but I'm cutting myself off for now. I have some box elder to pick up from a cousin for shoulder season wood, other then that I'm done till fall.

hahahahahaha right.

Looks great, a lot of hard work there and you deserve a break. It's funny how once you get that far ahead and you think your done and more firewood just happens to fall in your lap.

I like the blocks under the stacks. Great airflow. I'd like to do that to my racks (about 200ft) But I hate to put more expense into my racks.

bsa0021 said:
I hate to put more expense into my racks.
LOL Ja, I'm cheap too. Before I built my shed and stored all my wood out on the ground, I would put down a base or first course of junk Poplar and put my good wood on top of that. Doesn't give the same air flow but keeps the good wood up off the wet ground.

Since I built the shed, I would just set the wood down bark side against a bed of wood chips and bark outside to dry all Summer before laying it up in the shed come Fall. Just lately did I get some pallets to stack onto outdoors. I know that the pallets will eventually rot and that I will have to deal with the nails when the time comes.

Rdust looks great and I'm sure you will enjoy the heat.

Zap

LLigetfa said:
bsa0021 said:
I hate to put more expense into my racks.
LOL Ja, I'm cheap too. Before I built my shed and stored all my wood out on the ground, I would put down a base or first course of junk Poplar and put my good wood on top of that. Doesn't give the same air flow but keeps the good wood up off the wet ground.

Since I built the shed, I would just set the wood down bark side against a bed of wood chips and bark outside to dry all Summer before laying it up in the shed come Fall. Just lately did I get some pallets to stack onto outdoors. I know that the pallets will eventually rot and that I will have to deal with the nails when the time comes.

An old friend from high school and her husband live 2 streets over (different City) and the code there calls for any wood to be stacked 18" off the ground. :eek:hh:

Seems silly but from a practical wood drying aspect I think it will work great. I may try some single row cinder block racks just for the hell of it.

I have been using pallets the last 3 years and they seem to be holding up just fine.

Cheers,Hiram

Status
Not open for further replies.