Finally! I got my splitter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I promise no more new threads on this subject.

After totally giving up on the Craigslist lady ever calling and confirming our appointment, she emailed and said she was on the way to our designated meeting place. I told her I need two hours to get there. Just as we pulled up, she called and said she was running late and would be there in 45 minutes. Since the brides had tagged along with my buddy and me we went inside the nearby Tex-Mex place and had dinner. The lady showed up finally.

The splitter has definitely never been used though it was bought seven years ago. There is not a mark or scuff on the beam and the wedge looks downright virginal. Not a scratch on the cylinder. The oil looks like it came right out of the can and the gas tank is bone dry without a hint that it has ever been filled. Which is a good things as I don't have to worry about a gummed up carb. The tires look brand new. The hoses are all tight and in good shape with no hint of any seepage whatsoever after all those years of sitting.

The lady said her husband brought it new, intending to take it to family property in Arkansas but it went into storage right away and never left the storage facility. It was verydusty, (which means she didn't try to clean it up to hide anything like oil leaks.) and the bottom of the toe plate has some minor surface rust that I can easily paint over. (Where can I find the correct paint?) One of the plastic fenders is a bit warped as if something was pressing against it for several years in the hot storage locker. Not a biggy.

I did not start it up. And haven't done so yet. I'm about to go out of town for the weekend and will play around with it when I get home tomorrow afternoon.

For $1000, I think I did good. A 35 ton may be overkill for my average 1.5 cord burn a year but I have three or four cords or rounds stacked right now and several more waiting that are still in full "tree form." A Huskee 22 would probably have done me just fine but now I have a 35 ton for the same money! What's not to like about that!

Attachments

• splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 548
Kenster said:
For $1000, I think I did good.

LOL, I think you done a little better than good.

Ken,

Congrats!!! Looks great. Im glad it all worked out in the end.

Derek

[quote author="Kenster" date="1310234887"]I promise no more new threads on this subject.

lol, At-least now there going to be splitting threads! :cheese:

Great job. Patience is usually rewarded. Like I was after getting that Husky 288 after a few weeks waiting & searching.I'm like a kid with a new toy tee hee.

It may be a bit much for your own needs, but with a sturdy piece of equipment like that, you might decide to have a small side business and split for a select clientele. Worth considering, anyway. Congrats on a killer deal!

"I promise no more new threads on this subject."

Whew!
Thank God!
Just kidding, congrats on your purchase.

SolarAndWood said:
Kenster said:
For $1000, I think I did good.

LOL, I think you done a little better than good.

Absolutely!!! Good job... Overkill is a Good Thing.

Now you can update your Signature with your new "Toy". Your gonna love it.

Awesome,,congrats. Man,,I sure hope that thing starts..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure U will let us know..!!!!!

So....horizontally or vertically?

So Ken, I said you'd have one by fall. You got this jewel well before fall. Sometimes it does pay to shop around.... Congratulations.

Impressive.

Here's my take on the deal you got. I paid $1000.00 for a barely-used 28 ton Huskee splitter., and put about $200.00 into it to beef up the hydraulic lines, tongue and jack. You paid $1000.00 for a 35 ton model that needs nothing. Call me Captain Obvious, but I think you did pretty darn good. Enjoy the splitter.

I really don't want to put any 'optional' money into it right away but... How much would it cost to put some
Armored hydro lines on it? One of these days I will want a bolt on side table but I might just build a sturdy one out of wood in the meantime.
Of course, I'm leaning toward vertical splitting. I have a bunch of big heavy rounds waiting on me. We'll see...

snowleopard said:
It may be a bit much for your own needs, but with a sturdy piece of equipment like that, you might decide to have a small side business and split for a select clientele. Worth considering, anyway. Congrats on a killer deal!

Great score! I lend out my splitter to three neighbors who have already paid me the total of my cost for it - just to ensure future access. I just store and maintain it.

Kenster said:
I really don't want to put any 'optional' money into it right away but... How much would it cost to put some
Armored hydro lines on it? One of these days I will want a bolt on side table but I might just build a sturdy one out of wood in the meantime.
Of course, I'm leaning toward vertical splitting. I have a bunch of big heavy rounds waiting on me. We'll see...

Some cheap protection for hydro lines is discarded fire hose. Just wrap it and zip tie it. That stuff is some tough stuff and fire depts often discard usable stuff.
We use it alot on skidder, loader and truck hydro lines where they are apt to rub on metal.

If that toe plate is hollow (looks scooped out), make sure it's fully in contact with the ground before splitting in vertical. The hollow toe plates tend to bend before the solid version will.

I noticed when I first set it vertical that the toe plate did not set flush on the concrete floor of the garage. Raising the 'nose' a bit with the adjustable kick stand (or whatever it's called) does the trick. I'll make sure the toe plate is always fully flush with the ground. Thanks for the tip.

Gonna need an old milk crate to sit on. Backwoods S can explain all the tricks to "vertical" splitting.
I think Dennis even tows his around in the vertical mode :)

Very nice splitter, great buy..

Kenster said:

Ken,

I picked up a heavy-duty 60-inch hydraulic hose and fittings at Tractor Supply for just under $50.00. A place called Blain's Farm & Fleet had the Huskee splitter table for $38.00 which is quite a bit less than Tractor Supply. I don't know if the Huskee table will fit your splitter....check the beam near the base plate. If you see a few holes spaced about a foot apart, it will accept the table as a bolt-on. It took me all of five minutes to put mine on, and it's very useful. So, with all this money we keep putting into our gear, when do we get to the money-saving part of heating with wood? ;-)

XactLEE said:
Way to score a great splitter! Now send a pic and price email to the pawn shop so they can eat it!
35 ton warrants a 4 way!!!

DefinitLEE A four way. Don't Konw why they don't come with one.

TreePointer said:
If that toe plate is hollow (looks scooped out), make sure it's fully in contact with the ground before splitting in vertical. The hollow toe plates tend to bend before the solid version will.

It's not hollow. I have one just like it.

Kenster said:
I promise no more new threads on this subject.

After totally giving up on the Craigslist lady ever calling and confirming our appointment, she emailed and said she was on the way to our designated meeting place. I told her I need two hours to get there. Just as we pulled up, she called and said she was running late and would be there in 45 minutes. Since the brides had tagged along with my buddy and me we went inside the nearby Tex-Mex place and had dinner. The lady showed up finally.

The splitter has definitely never been used though it was bought seven years ago. There is not a mark or scuff on the beam and the wedge looks downright virginal. Not a scratch on the cylinder. The oil looks like it came right out of the can and the gas tank is bone dry without a hint that it has ever been filled. Which is a good things as I don't have to worry about a gummed up carb. The tires look brand new. The hoses are all tight and in good shape with no hint of any seepage whatsoever after all those years of sitting.

The lady said her husband brought it new, intending to take it to family property in Arkansas but it went into storage right away and never left the storage facility. It was verydusty, (which means she didn't try to clean it up to hide anything like oil leaks.) and the bottom of the toe plate has some minor surface rust that I can easily paint over. (Where can I find the correct paint?) One of the plastic fenders is a bit warped as if something was pressing against it for several years in the hot storage locker. Not a biggy.

I did not start it up. And haven't done so yet. I'm about to go out of town for the weekend and will play around with it when I get home tomorrow afternoon.

For $1000, I think I did good. A 35 ton may be overkill for my average 1.5 cord burn a year but I have three or four cords or rounds stacked right now and several more waiting that are still in full "tree form." A Huskee 22 would probably have done me just fine but now I have a 35 ton for the same money! What's not to like about that!

Those finders are nice. you dont dent them when you drop wood on them. The only complaint I have about that spliter is that it is SLOW. A friend told me some holes can be drilled out to make it faster but I haven't tried it yet. Also wish they came with a 4 way wedge. That splitter is unstoppable !!! Great deal at 1/3 price of at store.

Status
Not open for further replies.