Finally installed stove #2 (Jotul 602). Thanks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pfettig77

Feb 13, 2014
NW Wisconsin
I got on here a few weeks ago and started pestering everyone with a bunch of questions about fixing my Jotul, installing it, and building a wall shield. The info was very useful - thanks to all who helped. It's stove #2 in my house (the other is a QF Cumberland Gap). The $6 propane prompted this move and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. I am super excited about how much better the house is heated with a second wood stove. No more chilly drafts coming from the entry way. My neighbor took a trip to Norway a few years ago and he said that a lot of the houses have several small wood stoves. Seems like a good idea to me - if you don't mind doing laps around the house every few hours feeding stoves (which I don't).

Attachments

• 20140314_175432.jpeg
    20140314_175432.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 2,965
  • 20140314_164641.jpeg
    20140314_164641.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,133
Reactions: Billybonfire
Cool! Many dual stovers here, so your with kindred spirits. I think BrowningBAR is still running three stoves.

Running two all year does get a little tiring, as you're always running to the other end of the house to check on the stove, engage the cat, lower the air, etc. But, it does beat paying for propane! It also helps burn some of those winter-time calories.

Reactions: smokedragon
Still a one stove man here........but I like the idea of burning those calories in the winter when you can't go out and buck/split at the woodpile.

I concur. Usually I do get out in the winter and do most of my cutting and splitting, but this winter the snow was too deep for the tractor.
I don't think I'll have to double my wood supply because hopefully I won't be burning as much wood in my main stove. We'll see.

I don't think I'll have to double my wood supply because hopefully I won't be burning as much wood in my main stove. We'll see.
That depends on your house. I thought the same, prior to installing my second stove. Truth is, if I don't keep both at 500F all day every day, the oil has to kick in.

I actually tried doing just that for part of a year, before giving up and deciding I'd just feed each 2.5 loads per day on my regular schedule, and let the oil fired boiler run as it needs. I'm much less grumpy, now.

Looks good pfettig77. That's a great little stove. You may end up wanting a key damper on the flue. I found I got more heat out of the stove and longer burns with one.

Reactions: Ashful
I thought of that. I thought I'd wait to see how it burns for a week or so first. I hope I left myself enough wiggle room with the adjustable stove pipe to allow for the damper should I need it.

image.jpg
I thought of that. I thought I'd wait to see how it burns for a week or so first. I hope I left myself enough wiggle room with the adjustable stove pipe to allow for the damper should I need it.

I also have a 602 which I use when needed on my main floor.

A hint for you: I didn't like the transition from 4" off the stove to 6" stove pipe.
What I did was make a 6" round piece from some galvanized metal. I riveted it, painted it black.
It sits on the stove and overlaps the 6" double wall by about 1".
Now, it looks like one piece of stovepipe from ceiling to top of stove.
Here's a pic:

I have a second stove, a Woodstock Classic, on our lower level that I burn on days when it drops down in the 20s or when I'm going to be downstairs watching something on the big TV in the den. It is extra work running a second stove, but with the Classic, I suspect the 602, you don't have to do much once the fire is established. I don't usually even have to use my bypass damper on the Classic during reloads if I keep the stove above 300 F.

Reactions: pfettig77
Status
Not open for further replies.