Finally Ordered our insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jondoe941

Jan 31, 2021
Massachusetts
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Dorlet 1800I, and hopefully will arrive by the end of the month. I also ordered a pre-insulated 6" liner. I'm expecting the install to be a PIA has I have to break out the exist clay liner in the chimney. I already have a ton of wood that by winter will be seasoned for about 1 1/2 years. I'm working on splitting it now, and already have 1/4 cord split without making much of a dent in the pile. We are planning on using this for supplemental heat to help lower our heating bill. any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Plan on and install a blockoff plate before you put the stove in. How tall is the liner? 1800i isnt too heavy. 3 string adults can lift it. I jacked and cribbed it. 24’ of insulated liner I needed a damper.

Do you have an appliance adapter? You can get an angled one if you need to.

Is the flue straight or are there offsets? Took 3 people to get mine past one 10” offset. Take some ibuprofen before you start. My abs and delts were really sore the next day.

Be careful with the baffle board. Mine came broken in two pieces. Not a big deal.

I put high temp anti seize on the door latch threads and the hinges.

Make sure the thermal snap switch touches the stove. I had to wedge some screws under the blower to get back there and touching.

I took my whole damper frame out. I could then stand up in the smoke chamber.

First fire will be smelly and Smokey plan accordingly.

I looks like there may be andirons that are help in place by the firebricks on the floor. I haven’t looked in to them. But maybe I should.

The air control lever could use a some indicator marks.

I’m happy with my unit.

Plan on and install a blockoff plate before you put the stove in. How tall is the liner? 1800i isnt too heavy. 3 string adults can lift it. I jacked and cribbed it. 24’ of insulated liner I needed a damper.

Do you have an appliance adapter? You can get an angled one if you need to.

Is the flue straight or are there offsets? Took 3 people to get mine past one 10” offset. Take some ibuprofen before you start. My abs and delts were really sore the next day.

Be careful with the baffle board. Mine came broken in two pieces. Not a big deal.

I put high temp anti seize on the door latch threads and the hinges.

Make sure the thermal snap switch touches the stove. I had to wedge some screws under the blower to get back there and touching.

I took my whole damper frame out. I could then stand up in the smoke chamber.

First fire will be smelly and Smokey plan accordingly.

I looks like there may be andirons that are help in place by the firebricks on the floor. I haven’t looked in to them. But maybe I should.

The air control lever could use a some indicator marks.

I’m happy with my unit.
I got a 15' liner, it's fortunately a straight run. I will need to take out the damper, and remove some of the smoke shelf to get the liner in. I got the a kit with the appliance adaptor and the chimney screen. I'm hoping to do a fire shortly after installing so I can have the door open for the 1st fire. but I do need to extend the hearth some to meet code

Reactions: EbS-P
If your just starting to split your wood than by winter it will have seasoned for only half a year. Unless it is softwood it's doubtful it will be below 20%.

I like pine because I can get it dry in one summer. Wet wood sucks all the enjoyment out of a new stove.