Finally scored some free wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckDog

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2010
Eastern Ontario
Was helping a buddy move last week (still helping now but that's another story) and noticed he had a shed full of firewood. Must be 1.5-2 cord. Some of it is over 2 years old. The deal is that he is renting the place off of someone who stopped paying their mortage. The bank took the house and is paying out my buddies rental agreement so they can sell it. Sooooo, the bank could care less about the firewood as it adds no value to the house (in their eyes) . I've already taken 6 trailer loads and have at least 2 more. This will put me close to 5 cord I figure. Very close to 2 years woth of heat!

The pictures are: "the shed", "holy ironwood" and "the first 3 trailer loads"

20130808_200023.jpg20130808_202004.jpg20130810_195456.jpg

Looks like good stuff and it's even already split. Very Nice

Reactions: DuckDog and ScotO
Wow! That's a chitload. Nice score.

Great find!! Let us know what the final count ends up being

Someday I'll get a score like that.......not.that I need it right now or anything like that...;)
Awesome haul, DuckDog.......is much of it Ironwood? Of so, that raises it to the term MEGA-SCORE!!

Time to join our club!!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/firewood-hoarders-club-ltd.52839/

Thanks all. Pretty pleased that's for sure. A score like this NEVER comes along around here.
The first 3 loads were probably 50-60% Ironwood. I swear I heard my stove groan every time I unloaded. I know there is a bit of Maple, some huge chunks of Yellow Birch, some White Ash and there is a lot of stuff I'm unsure of. It is hardwood, has an Ash / Elm style bark, seemingly wide grain and is super "stringy". Looks like someone worked real hard to split it. I"ll take a pic and post it later for the experts.
I have the day off on Wednesday so I've hired my nephew for the day to help me stack it. He's 15 and a good kid. Always willing to work for his money. He seems oddly excited. I'm sure a couple hours at the stack will knock the excitement out of him.

Excellent.

Reactions: DuckDog
nice!! But i had trouble following the story on whose hose that is and who stopped paying the morgauge on what house?:confused:

Those certainly are not Michigan cords. :)

Reactions: HDRock
nice!! But i had trouble following the story on whose hose that is and who stopped paying the morgauge on what house?:confused:
Yep, pretty messy. Hahaha. Wood is mine in the end!

Those certainly are not Michigan cords. :)
???. The pile in back goes behind the house and is 2 cord. The front pile will be more than 2.5 times it's size in the picture when I'm done, which I really feel will stack out to 1.5-2 cord. What do you think?

Yep, pretty messy. Hahaha. Wood is mine in the end!

???. The pile in back goes behind the house and is 2 cord. The front pile will be more than 2.5 times it's size in the picture when I'm done, which I really feel will stack out to 1.5-2 cord. What do you think?

'Michigan' cords are infamous for being face cords and you have a lot of wood there. Pics can be hard to judge but I think you are looking at an easy two cords. Is that the shed before you pulled any wood out or is some of the wood in the shed also pictured in your yard?

Great score DuckDog. To make it even better I would send a bill to the bank for removal of the wood!

That is a very nice find indeed! But the 5 cord has me confused for lasting 2 winters in your area. Most use much more.

Nice score. Looks like you have a job stacking all that but that's pretty good deal.

Was helping a buddy move last week (still helping now but that's another story) and noticed he had a shed full of firewood. Must be 1.5-2 cord. Some of it is over 2 years old. The deal is that he is renting the place off of someone who stopped paying their mortage. The bank took the house and is paying out my buddies rental agreement so they can sell it. Sooooo, the bank could care less about the firewood as it adds no value to the house (in their eyes) . I've already taken 6 trailer loads and have at least 2 more. This will put me close to 5 cord I figure. Very close to 2 years woth of heat!

There's nothing better than getting free already-split and seasoned firewood. Its like a wood score Trifecta in horse racing! Nice score!

View attachment 108361View attachment 108362View attachment 108363

That's great, I love burning that ironwood

Great score DuckDog. To make it even better I would send a bill to the bank for removal of the wood!
Hahahah. I'm probably already pushing my luck!

That is a very nice find indeed! But the 5 cord has me confused for lasting 2 winters in your area. Most use much more.
We have a small 1250sq' bungalow. No basement. Wood heats the whole house but we use electric baseboard in the bedrooms at the far end. We burn 24x7 from November to March. Right around 2.5 cord a year. (7-8 "face")

Someday I'll get a score like that.......not.that I need it right now or anything like that...;)
Awesome haul, DuckDog.......is much of it Ironwood? Of so, that raises it to the term MEGA-SCORE!!

Time to join our club!!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/firewood-hoarders-club-ltd.52839/

I really don't think I'm worthy. I just got super lucky!

Grabbed another trailer load last night after work. Here is an updated picture. This is 7 trailer loads. One more to go. There is a bunch of 4-12" chunks that I'll take to the barn and use in the ice shack this winter. Wood for every purpose. Also, pic 2 is of a pocket of cedar chunks I found mixed in. More cedar than I need for a whole year of kindling. Gets better and better.

20130812_210211.jpg20130812_210242.jpg

We have a small 1250sq' bungalow. No basement. Wood heats the whole house but we use electric baseboard in the bedrooms at the far end. We burn 24x7 from November to March. Right around 2.5 cord a year.

WOW 2.5 cord for a year burning 24/7 is impressive

WOW 2.5 cord for a year burning 24/7 is impressive

It's funny, every time I hear about someone burning 4+ cord I say the same thing. I just don't get it.
Our stove is filled at night (21:30), topped off in the morning before work (05:30), my wife adds 2 splits when she gets home from work just to keep it alive (16:30) then we start over again that night. Our house is typically kept at more than average room temp. Temp drops during the 11 hour day shift but never below high 60's.

If I fill the stove at night and fill the wood ring at the same time I am looking at usually 2 solid days of burning. Night, morning, evening, night morning evening then need to fill the stove and wood ring again. This is not common?

20121008_202131.jpg

Ok. You all made me do some math. lol!
I use around 2.25 cubic feet of wood per 24 hours . Based on 24x7 for 5 months that works out to 337.5 cubic feet of wood. Divide by 128 (cord) = 2.6 cord. Obviously there is going to be some variance in there but still pretty close. Is my math wrong?

I would imagine using the baseboard heaters going would reduce the wood consumption.

What kind of wood do you typically burn? Obviously 2.5 cords of Oak goes a lot further than 2.5 cords of Cottonwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.