Finally scored some free wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About your wood use age. Your also using electric baseboard which many are not, they either have a larger stover or push it harder. Upper 60s is pretty cold for a wood heated home. Warm for those with electric heat but my wife would have 3 blankets on a hat or hoodie and a sweatshirt at those temps!!

OK now to what I was going to post. I hope this was nobody on here's wood!!! Or we will see some guy join about a new house... having to get a stove and needing to find wood cause he had to leave it at his old house. He was clearly not a wood snob!

Reactions: DuckDog
This is not common?
Can't speak for others, but for me, this is not common.
I use about 5 cord/year. Should be 3-4, but again, older stove.
I burn from late Sept. to at least mid May, no other heat source used. Very similar sized ranch home.
House is usually around 80 or so near the stove and 70 into the living room, then gets slightly cooler in the kitchen. Far bedroom stays low 60's.

It's funny, every time I hear about someone burning 4+ cord I say the same thing. I just don't get it.
Our stove is filled at night (21:30), topped off in the morning before work (05:30), my wife adds 2 splits when she gets home from work just to keep it alive (16:30) then we start over again that night. Our house is typically kept at more than average room temp. Temp drops during the 11 hour day shift but never below high 60's.

If I fill the stove at night and fill the wood ring at the same time I am looking at usually 2 solid days of burning. Night, morning, evening, night morning evening then need to fill the stove and wood ring again. This is not common?

View attachment 108442

Ok. You all made me do some math. lol!
I use around 2.25 cubic feet of wood per 24 hours . Based on 24x7 for 5 months that works out to 337.5 cubic feet of wood. Divide by 128 (cord) = 2.6 cord. Obviously there is going to be some variance in there but still pretty close. Is my math wrong?
I can see using 2.5 in a smaller house supplemented with baseboard heat. I used about 4.5 last year heating 1800 sq ft with no other source of heat. Kept the far corner of the house away from the stove around 72-75. Much warmer in the stove room. I have no idea what I'm gonna use this year though. Bigger leaky older house but better stove.

It's funny, every time I hear about someone burning 4+ cord I say the same thing. I just don't get it.
Our stove is filled at night (21:30), topped off in the morning before work (05:30), my wife adds 2 splits when she gets home from work just to keep it alive (16:30) then we start over again that night. Our house is typically kept at more than average room temp. Temp drops during the 11 hour day shift but never below high 60's.

If I fill the stove at night and fill the wood ring at the same time I am looking at usually 2 solid days of burning. Night, morning, evening, night morning evening then need to fill the stove and wood ring again. This is not common?

View attachment 108442

Ok. You all made me do some math. lol!
I use around 2.25 cubic feet of wood per 24 hours . Based on 24x7 for 5 months that works out to 337.5 cubic feet of wood. Divide by 128 (cord) = 2.6 cord. Obviously there is going to be some variance in there but still pretty close. Is my math wrong?

I did not check your math as I'm sure you did your homework. But I can see how you get by with that amount of wood. During the 2011-2012 winter we burned 2.5 cord but last winter was a tad over 3 cord. One big difference is that we keep our home 80+ degrees. No doubt if we did not keep it that warm we could get by with lots less but that is not what we want.

Those are some big splits and rounds in there too. Those are good to hold a fire a bit longer than normal but take longer to dry.

We keep the baseboards at 60 in the 2 back bedrooms. Typically a just in case thing. When it's cold (-5 and below) they do run (and they get turned up). The bedrooms literally could not be further away from the stove. We'd probably not be able to breath in the livingroom if we tried to heat those 2 rooms only with the stove during a cold spell. Not worth it to me.

The only one at home during a weekday is the brown dog in my avatar. She'll have to deal with the upper 60's until "mom" gets home.

Stacking starts tomorrow!!

On a side note, thanks to everyone for making this a great thread. Way too often peoples feelings get hurt when someone doesn't agree 100% with someone elses opinion. It typically keeps me away from internet forums......

Duck Dog, you might try the fan trick. I'm guessing with the bedrooms being the furthest, you probably have a hallway. If so, a small desktop fan (ours has about 3 or 4" blades) sitting on the floor and running at the lowest speed will work nicely. Sit the fan in the hallway and blow it toward the stove room. This way you are moving the cooler air into the warmer air. The effect will be to cool the stove room a little and of course, the cool air going in will force the warm air out. It is amazing how well this works. Most folks try to move the warm air like we used to. But moving the cooler air works 10 times better.

I like your last statement about the forums. I had noticed that same effect and when I got onto this forum I did not plan on being here long. Instead, I found a great bunch of guys and gals and although sometimes feelings do get hurt, it is very minor and most times it is because of a misunderstanding. Folks on this forum want to get along together as everyone should do. Thankfully, we've made a lot of new friends because of this forum.

Reactions: Trilifter7
I use the fan trick. Have about a 6" fan on floor. It will raise the bedroom temp close to 3-4 degrees.

That room is farthest from fire from stove its 20dt to a doorway then an easy 25 feet through a room and down a hallway to my bedroom. Fans returning air to stove works.

We hit 90 f in here with the stove a few times but that's when we go to bed and watch TV in bed. Will only happen at night after a reload that is get that hot. Its usually around 9 to 11 pm when its that hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.