Finally started stocking the new wood shed.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

River19

Nov 19, 2008
Southern Ma & Northern VT
Since we are only at our cabin about 100-150 days per year (pretty much every weekend and some vacations) we only go through about 1-1.5 cord per heating season so my goal this year was to stash away about 3 cord.

for the past few years I would stack our wood by the walkout basement (right in front) under our deck but we decided to end that practice and build the wood shed. I posted a few pics a few weeks back and then I had accumulated 2 cord or so in the driveway plus some of the remaining wood from a couple years ago. Add to that my scrounge piles from around the lot and we had a nice afternoon of stacking.

My buddy dropped off his ATV for the day and I breathed new life into my old garden cart by finally seeing the light and ordering solid rubber tires vs. popping untold numbers of regular tires.........

Combine that with my wife and I steadily chipping away and in 3-4 hours we had all the wood stacked in the wood shed ready for winter. Just a small amount left in the old location to burn through before the real snows settle in.

Feels good to have my heating fuel stored for the winter.......just a short 20' path needs to be cleared from the covered porch to the shed.......life is good. Bring on the snow.....

Attachments

• Shed 3.jpg
    Shed 3.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 541
  • Filled Shed.jpg
    Filled Shed.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 525
  • Old wood remaining.jpg
    Old wood remaining.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 516
heck of a cabin,id be more often it it were possible,i,m envious
rod

Thanks Rod, we spent 50 weekends or so covered in sawdust to bring it to life, could never of afforded to pay for someone to do it all. It is our baby.

It's a good feeling to have the shed finally stocked! I'm also there too.
Nice looking place.

Nice shed River, beautiful house, thats one of our favorite spots, northern Vermont is beautiful year round, I love to go up there in the winter.

Nicely done and a beautiful cabin too.

Eh, Gary if we could build things, anyone can do it.........

It was a nice cool 16 degrees the other morning and I had the Jotul purring along at 500 degrees nice and clean. The night before my wife was "cold" so I had the stove crankling along and the damn living room had to be mid 70s.......I was in shorts and a t-shirt with the slider open looking at her for mercy....

We are lucky to be able to call that cabin our real home, while everyone chased the McMansion dreams we stayed in our nice little 900 sq ft ranch and saved and were able to pull off the cabin in 2009.

That little pile of wood under the blue tarp under the deck was where we used to store the wood prior to the wood shed, I can't wait to walk off the porch and get wood from the shed once I burn the crap under the deck.

River,nice cabin. My wife and I have lived in our "starter" home for over 20 yrs but we have our cabin in the woods that we visit most weekends.
I live for it and it is also our baby.
Enjoy

Very nice cabin.

You all with your cabins are living right! Congrats. I am still dreaming of mine, while I sit house poor in my McMansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.