Finally started the woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm toying with the idea of hanging tarps over each 8' bay on the southern exposed side that won't be enclosde...just to keep any stray snow/ice off the wood. Has anybody done this in a way that it's easy to raise/lower the tarp?

You could attach a PVC pipe to the bottom. Roll it up and tie it up or make some sort of cradle s out of wood so you can roll it up and drop the roll in the cradle

Kinda what I had in mind.

Been using info in this thread along with some online tools and have decided to go with 2X8 roof joists at 24" apart. The "headers" across the front and rear will also be 2X8 with bracing. There was not a big difference in price compared to 2X6 and some of our heavy winter loads have a lot of ice in them, so better safe than sorry! Now, if the rain will let up I can get some work done while the grass dires out to mow that again.

muncybob said:
It will have sides(3) eventually, may not get to them this year. Depends on how much the metal roof runs me. Just the eight 4X6 posts and a dozen 2X4's already has me over $200. Once the roof is on I figure I'm still ahead of the game compared to tarps last winter!

Based on that calculater I need 2X8 joists since they are going to span just over 10'. What I'm not sure about is the spacing....I'm told I probably will be OK at 24" but I'm thinking about only going 16". Will be more work and $$ but better safe than sorry.
+1 on the 2x8, also @16" centers you'll only add about 5 more rafters. If the budget allows go with a 12' rafter and make a short 6" overhang on the back (gutter side) and the extra on the front that will be your open side. New metal should be about $2.40 lin ft. @ 36" exposure. just for referance. What is the 2x6 on the post for?

Here's where I'm at with the shed. Not bad progress so far considering we took a week's vacation and I'm mainly only working on it weekends when it's not raining and wife has no other plans. With any luck by Saturday I'll be able to get the final rafters up and cut off the post tops. Hope to be picking up the metal roofing this Sunday and then it will be time to start bringing in the fuel. Looks like my mid October finish date is a real possibility. I'll be a happy camper when I can put up a photo showing a filled shed! Appears the shed has the approval of the local wildlife and the neighbor's dog.

Attachments

• deer at the shed.jpg
    deer at the shed.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 642
  • Rascal and the shed.jpg
    Rascal and the shed.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 645
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 662
Looking good.
Metal roof will be sweet!
Nice pictures,
The dog is the local building inspector & security? Good deal!!

Nice start on that wood shelter! You'll wonder how you ever got by without it!

Ray

muncybob said:
Here's where I'm at with the shed. Not bad progress so far considering we took a week's vacation and I'm mainly only working on it weekends when it's not raining and wife has no other plans. With any luck by Saturday I'll be able to get the final rafters up and cut off the post tops. Hope to be picking up the metal roofing this Sunday and then it will be time to start bringing in the fuel. Looks like my mid October finish date is a real possibility. I'll be a happy camper when I can put up a photo showing a filled shed! Appears the shed has the approval of the local wildlife and the neighbor's dog.

Looking good muncybob, looks like the deer might want some hay at one end of the shed this winter! :coolsmile: I'm looking forward to the final pictures.

zap

Please keep us updated with pics. Im looking to build somehting very similar to this next spring for yard equipment/woodstorage. Good job btw!

Is it EVER going to stop raining!!!??? Looks like this weekend will be better served spending time in front of the TV watching baseball/football. We have set all sorts of records this year for total rainfall in just about any given month other than July...really getting tired of it.
Hoping to travel to my daughter's place(2.5 hrs 1 way) to pick up some salvaged barn roofing tomorrow. Hopefully the weather forecast is reasonably accurate for this coming week and if it is, I plan to take off Thrs/Fri and make a long weekend of mostly shed activities. Still hoping to be loading firewood around mid month....if it would just stop raining! :(

Same here, rain rain rain finally got woodshed packed for winter in between rains, was going to wait till 2nd week in Oct.

OK, need some input here from you construction type folk.

As stated, I'm installing a metal roof on top of the 2X8 rafters which are 24" OC. I was planning to run 2X4's across the joists @ 16" OC to secure the metal to.....a friend said I could get by with 1X6. The 1X6 are true meaurements as this is rough cut green wood. I'm concerned with 1" holding under a heavy load and esp. if I have to get up there and shovel off ice/snow.

Thoughts?

That's a possibility...could double as my basement piping clean out tool too since it's about 9' from the end cap to the chimney elbow... if I can fab and attachment to the end.

1x6 or even 1x4 inch are very common for this purpose

Just a quick update. Decided to go with 2X4's on the roof. This is rough cut hemlock so it's a true 2X4. The metal roofing I got for free already had holes at about 24" OC for the most part so that's how I put the 2X4's up. Secured into the rafters with 4" deck screws.
I probably would have completed photos to share today but I mis-calculated the 2X4's needed and had to wait until yesterday to get some more as the sawmill is closed on weekends. I am siding the shed with mostly 1X8 and securing them with screws too. Went with screws vs. nails just to be sure of a good hold in case my firewood stacking in the shed leans into a wall, don't want popped nails and boards coming loose. Actually, except for the hurricane ties there are no nails at all in this project.
What great weather we have had while I'm working on this.....temps around 80 and no humidty to speak of! I've had a good time working on this but would have rather spent the time in the woods with my dog!
Hope to finish the shed and start loading wood into it by this coming weekend...what a great feeling it will be to do this! I'm no carpenter by any means and this has probably taken me twice as long as anybody with decent construction skills, but it's been a good learning experience and I must say being a 1 man construction crew(for about 75% of the time) has really taken it's toll on this 50 something office worker.

muncybob said:
Just a quick update. Decided to go with 2X4's on the roof. This is rough cut hemlock so it's a true 2X4. The metal roofing I got for free already had holes at about 24" OC for the most part so that's how I put the 2X4's up. Secured into the rafters with 4" deck screws.
I probably would have completed photos to share today but I mis-calculated the 2X4's needed and had to wait until yesterday to get some more as the sawmill is closed on weekends. I am siding the shed with mostly 1X8 and securing them with screws too. Went with screws vs. nails just to be sure of a good hold in case my firewood stacking in the shed leans into a wall, don't want popped nails and boards coming loose. Actually, except for the hurricane ties there are no nails at all in this project.
What great weather we have had while I'm working on this.....temps around 80 and no humidty to speak of! I've had a good time working on this but would have rather spent the time in the woods with my dog!
Hope to finish the shed and start loading wood into it by this coming weekend...what a great feeling it will be to do this! I'm no carpenter by any means and this has probably taken me twice as long as anybody with decent construction skills, but it's been a good learning experience and I must say being a 1 man construction crew(for about 75% of the time) has really taken it's toll on this 50 something office worker.

Way to go Bob! How about some current progress pics or it never happened! :)

Ray

OK, almost made my self imposed deadline of this weekend. Shed is about 92.5% done :)

A couple of 10" bolts, fascia boards , rain gutters, some backfill with drainage ditches, some sort of hanging cover system to protect against major storms and I'm completely done. Well almost, I have to fix the overhang on one side as I screwed up big time and this may wait until next year as I'm getting pressed for time to get her loaded and to get out there and run the saw...have not cut any wood in 2 months!

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 358
Very nice & "new " looking.
Great job!
Best picture will be when it's full. :)

This is just a suggestion, and I'm no structural engineer so take it for what it's worth - but I'd consider putting some diagonal bracing here & there. Maybe at the top corners on the front, and even a couple top to bottom on the back & sides. I've seen some leans develop on strapped/boarded things before.

Nice looking shed though!

More bracing is another item yet to do and there's probably a thing or 2 that I just can't think of right now. Getting her loaded is priority#1 for now though since we have started to burn wood.

Looks great muncybob! +1 on the braces like Maple1 said. I think bracing in the front would give it a good look as well as the structural benefit. About how much wood will that hold?

Looks awesome! Structure like that is useful and makes the property look better too.

This will be my first year trying to actually heat with wood in awhile, going to be wishing I had a shed like that, nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.