Finally starting to fill the new shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beardley

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2009
Cato, NY
I still have a little work left on the shed, but I started getting some of the wood under cover today. 8x18, and I'm filling it to 8' tall. Last photo is this years wood delivery. I ordered 2 cords, and got closer to 3, by my eye. 100% sugar maple to boot!

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

Nice shed. What did you do for the footings? Concrete blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, blocks on a gravel base. To avoid permits where I live you have to stay under 144 sq ft. I wanted to put it close to the property line, so I couldn't do a permanent structure, so I went with the blocks and 6x6 skids. All of the lumber is rough cut from a local mill.

Reactions: saewoody
I don't know what is more beautiful, the shed or that gorgeous scenery, awesome!!!

Great looking design and build, how many cord is it designed to hold?

If I stuffed it to the gills, I can get 6 cord in there. I probably won't get quite that much. The goal was 2 years worth, 1 in each side. The third year will get stacked outside for better seasoning. I have front bracing to install yet, along with finishing off the siding on the top. I have some extra cedar shingles from my house, so I think I'm going to use them up there. The front opening is 11' high, and I didn't plan on doors, but now I'm thinking I may put a single sliding barn door on there to cover the side I'm using.

I still have a little work left on the shed, but I started getting some of the wood under cover today. 8x18, and I'm filling it to 8' tall. Last photo is this years wood delivery. I ordered 2 cords, and got closer to 3, by my eye. 100% sugar maple to boot!

View attachment 215521
View attachment 215522
View attachment 215523
That's real nice, beardsly.

It's full of sugar maple, and its sweet. It's The Sugar Shed.

Wish I had a lumber mill close by.

Dry wood from here on out.

Good job.
One suggestion, if you have not used them already, a few metal rafter ties just in case you get a big blow and the roof tries to rise up.
Beautiful country you live in, do you get much snow from the wind blowing across Lake Ontario?

I actually have some rafter ties, just haven’t put them up yet, but squarely on the to do list. Luckily, I had them laying around as we WAY over ordered when we built the house.

We certainly get our fair share of snow here. Syracuse to the south east averages around 150” a year. We’re probably 10-20” higher than that here. All depends on which way the winds blowing!

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
We certainly get our fair share of snow here
When a LES event is going to occur do you cringe when the weather channel shows up in town?

I actually have some rafter ties, just haven’t put them up yet, but squarely on the to do list. Luckily, I had them laying around as we WAY over ordered when we built the house.

We certainly get our fair share of snow here. Syracuse to the south east averages around 150” a year. We’re probably 10-20” higher than that here. All depends on which way the winds blowing!

Might want a front fascia board as well for the same reasons.

Awesome build. Btw, the only thing I know about Cato is how much I like the snowmobile trails through there. Great scenery indeed!