finally took down my biggest dead ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzo's Dad

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
Canton, CT
Tree company was here with a crane ...i think i am going to be way ahead when this is split

IMG_8406.jpg IMG_8994.jpg IMG_2002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, I like that picture with your son. The whole family getting into it. Congrats. great Looking Property You Have There. I miss the North East Sometimes until the winter just doesn't want to quit.

You have a crane? That's awesome! ;)

Are those poison ivy vines I see on the logs in the 2nd pic ?

I like the lengths you have there. You can now cut them to the size you really want. ;). Your getting your son started early. Cool.

That'll keep you busy for a couple minutes ;lol

My wife had a surprise. They topped the other dead ash.....anyone in near me need rounds

Attachments

• IMG954403.jpg
    IMG954403.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 157
Are those poison ivy vines I see on the logs in the 2nd pic ?
No it was some aggressive vine i cut down years ago.....If you look at the standing shag bark hickory its has a huge poision ivy vine on it. If the vine is brown and "hairy" its poision ivy/poision oak

So they left you those monsters to tackle?
Did they say what the price difference was between them bucking and you doing it?

I didnt ask, It was an anniversiary gift from my wife. The Tree guys live close by and have given me free wood in the past.....I bought a Stihl cant hook makes rolling them to cut way easier. I try to do as much as a can. We needed the crane because the septic system is under that tree and I did not want to risk crushing it. It will be alot of work, I just have to go liberate some pallets.\

canthook.png

So they brought a crane and a bucket boom?

Well I guess it helps that they are located 2 miles away. I think the son just likes hanging from the crane to show off, but the bucket truck can't fit over the power lines. If you look in the pic you can see the power leads to the house and the son hanging off the crane.
Bucket truck with chipper in tow, and crane....lots of ooohhhs and ahhhhs from Enzo

WHOA!!

No it was some aggressive vine i cut down years ago.....If you look at the standing shag bark hickory its has a huge poision ivy vine on it. If the vine is brown and "hairy" its poision ivy/poision oak
Well that's good , I couldn't tell in the pic
You have a lot of good BTUs there for sure :cool:

That ash is some nice wood to burn, I'm burning some right now as I type this, the only thing is that it hardly leaves any coals so I suggest you mix it with oak or birch if you have any. If you split it now believe it or not you may be able to burn it by march because it dry's out very fast for a hard wood. That large tree looked fairly dead so its probably a big relief to have it removed, have fun cutting and splitting.

I didnt ask, It was an anniversiary gift from my wife. The Tree guys live close by and have given me free wood in the past.....I bought a Stihl cant hook makes rolling them to cut way easier. I try to do as much as a can. We needed the crane because the septic system is under that tree and I did not want to risk crushing it. It will be alot of work, I just have to go liberate some pallets.\

View attachment 140902
That is a nice amount of firewood , I hope Ash splits easily if I had a wind shook Fir round that big I would need a nap after each one. Good luck.

Took a bite out of the elephant

Attachments

• 1012141706.jpg
    1012141706.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: HDRock

View attachment 140902

I hope you know that your cant-hook was actually made by LogRite in Vernon CT. I have a 4' one in blue powder-coat labeled "LogRite".

You don't really expect Stihl to make tools like that, do you? Certainly not for a competitive price.

I was going to buy the Logrite, but the Stihl dealer is on the same street as work had one for $10 more, 30 min drive to a Logrite dealer....I was hoping logrite made it, had it for 6 months, best tool next to the chainsaw.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.