FINALLY took down that big Water Oak (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I've been talking about it for a couple of months and today was the day. About 21 inch diameter. Much of the crown was down as the tree died off about a year or so ago after the big drought of 2011. What was left was about 30 feet tall, I'd guess, with lots of widow makers ready to bash my head in.

I made a good face cut wedge. I thought I started my back cut a little high but actually ended up angling down below the horizontal face cut. Took four big wedges to push it over but I finally brought it down.
I need to work on keeping my back cuts level.

The main trunk is still very wet and green. It should split nicely and be ready to burn in two or three years, though I won't need it for four years, at least. The wood in the big limbs looks burnable now with very little sign of punkiness.

Just need to get it bucked up, split and stacked!

1361482821_zpsb2249980.jpg

1361482866_zps513f11ad.jpg

1361482887_zps8638f153.jpg

1361482959_zps1a1bdb35.jpg

1361482968_zps2f8e2c3e.jpg

Nice job. Downed when & where you want it ;)

I have a tough time looking at the green vegetation. Jealousy ;)
Do you need a fire 24/7 this time of the year?
Nice weather !

Dave, I think we're done for the year. One or two nights in the low 40s the ten day forecast. 40 is usually my target temp to fire up the stove so I'm not sure I'll have another fire. We rarely burn 24/7. Mostly I just light a fire on a cold night, get it nice and hot and feel up the stove at bedtime. I might throw a split or two on it when I get up in the morning but that's about it.

Everything here is starting to green up.

Dave, I think we're done for the year. One or two nights in the low 40s the ten day forecast. 40 is usually my target temp to fire up the stove so I'm not sure I'll have another fire. We rarely burn 24/7. Mostly I just light a fire on a cold night, get it nice and hot and feel up the stove at bedtime. I might throw a split or two on it when I get up in the morning but that's about it.

Everything here is starting to green up.

Just took this pic. Sunny, 28°
DSCF0649.JPG

What a difference a few thousand miles makes :)

Nice stick,looks like a few 2" planks could be milled from main stem.Lots of good fuel from tops & branches.

Thistle, I actually thought about that but don't have the equipment to do it, or access to a mill. The top and branches could be burned now, but our winter is pretty much over. They'll be great next year. I won't even split them but will keep them round for overnight burns. The big trunk will make a lot of might fine fires. I won't need it for four years, probably.

Nice get, Ken. Love that Oak, especially when it's good and dry. :cool:
I need to work on keeping my back cuts level.
I'll line it up as best I can, to leave about a 2 or 3" hinge. I'll start the cut until the bar is into the wood, then stop cutting, put the brake on and leave the saw in the cut, then look from different angles to see if it looks good. If not, I'll adjust the angle or level until it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.