1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Find me a better rock guitar solo - you can't!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by webbie, Oct 13, 2013.

1. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Just read a bio on Bruce - so I thought of this live performance again.
    I love this solo for a couple reasons - it's not a song or melody which lends itself to a solo (not like blues, etc.), so the lead has to be thought out and practiced. Being live, it's doubly hard to get it right.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. charly

charly Guest

3. charly

charly Guest

Here's another guy who can really play!
  4. charly

charly Guest

Here's Tommy, one man plays it all on one guitar! Amazing!
    PapaDave likes this.
  5. Soundchasm

Soundchasm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    Holy crap, he's playing with a thumbpick. That's pretty rare. Only Johnny Winter comes to mind for rocking with a thumbpick.

Picking a favorite solo is like picking a favorite child (or so I've been told). One of my favorites is Kid Charlemagne by Steely Dan with Larry Carlton.
  6. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I actually had some decent ones down to Chain Lightning - but that has a bit less of the jazzy feeling.

I think one of the two (they went around twice) solos on that record was Rick Derringer, who I saw with Johnny Winter on Halloween Night 1970 at the electric factory in Philly. Quite a show. I think Rick was 16 or 17 at the time - I remember wishing it was me that Johnny took under his wing.
    Soundchasm likes this.
  7. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Not bad,sounds a little pink floydish. Been jammin to brick in the wall 2 disc set lately,while working.
  8. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    re: Tommy Emmanuel...once read an interview with Mr. Jeff Beck where he was asked if he knew of Tommy...his reply "ya, I know Tommy, that guys the 2 best guitar players I ever met".

my fav...for guitar guys, I know, its just a pretty straight pantatonic workout, but I think thats the beauty of it...
    Soundchasm likes this.
  9. Soundchasm

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    I better not get to discussing players today (way more fun than chores), but there's lots of local Derringer lore here in Dayton. Think he was from Union City (not far). Sadly, Randy Jo Hobbs had his OD here in Dayton. A buddy of mine nearly bought his bass from the family, but they decided not to sell at the last minute - probably the right decision. Derringer is a chameleon on that guitar with the number of styles he can play.

Accidentally saw Johnny a bunch in the 70's, and became a huge fan. I can't hardly think of a more proficient MACHINE than that guy at his peak. Two solos that amaze me are Still Alive And Well and Rock Me Baby. Ye Gods.

Deserted Island records for me are Still Alive And Well and Band Of Gypsies. I could stay busy for years.
  10. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Yeah, some of the Steely Dan stuff is great....Bodhisattva has some snappy guitar work.

If I'm stuck listening to one artist only, it's gonna be Zappa. Here's a little thirteen-minute song with a bit of guitar work. Couldn't find an HD version....drat. This is a mish-mash of live and studio stuff, so not a solo per se. I'll keep looking. :)
    It is sweet, though. ::-) Like a lot of Zappa, requires repeated listening to comprehend (for me anyway.) You can tell he started out on drums....very percussive style.

He always had a raft of great players in his band, with plenty of guitarist to play "impossible guitar parts," like Steve Vai.

Having a hard time getting this one out of the car rotation. Sweet HD! Best title ever. Drat, this is more studio work....I'll go back to work and try harder to find an actual solo. ;lol I just like to spread the gospel, be it dry wood or FZ. ==c

It was never specified what determines a great solo....musicianship, musicality or composition? I know....all of it. :)
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Joful likes this.
  11. Soundchasm

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    Woody, I also love FZ. The more I look into him, the more I like him. Hot Rats or Weasel's Ripped My Flesh is about my earliest recollection. Apostrophe, One Size Fits All, and Roxy And Elsewhere were masterpieces in my book.

There's a live solo he does that still kills me. Is it Inca Roads???

The part about Zappa I finally understand is that he's completely consistent as a human from his appearance on the Jack Paar show until the very end. Very bright, very creative, and DIRECT. I wanted him to be funny and a proper guitar hero, but I think he was, and stayed, an avant garde composer. He was the world's most practical artist.

I still remember how much trouble I got in when my Mom overheard Live At The Fillmore. Whew!
  12. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    There's some great stuff here, but I really like that flying off on his own, making it up as he goes almost conversational style of Gregg Ginn's mid-era Black Flag stuff. Putting jazz and rock into serious hardcore punk rock. Just sort of slops it out there with soul. Most songs just have little brilliant moments, rather than long self-serving solos- except when they do all instrumental tunes.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Soundchasm likes this.
  13. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    i love these threads. They always bring back really good memories
  14. Soundchasm

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    Here's an underrated solo that always blew me away. I could never play as expertly badly as he did at 1:40.

Another one from Hero-worthy Jeff Beck is telling of his depth. I thought he was nuts when he said he'd given up picks because he kept dropping them. At age 56, I'm beginning to realize what a great strategy that was...

2:27 of absolute mastery. I always cue this up for young players and just watch their faces.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    webbie likes this.
  15. Soundchasm

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    OMG this guy is KILLING me!! If only I had put every waking hour in working as hard as he did I might be that good!!
  16. DevilsBrew

DevilsBrew Minister of Fire

Off topic, great website, Sound!
    Soundchasm likes this.
  17. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Nice Beck touches in this...I actually picked up the guitar one day and found the riffs pretty easy...but it's the dynamics.....

Soundchasm likes this.
  18. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Another one I found easy to copy - but not easy to make up in the first place......
    Soundchasm likes this.
  19. Soundchasm

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    Some guys have no fear of following the first neurons that fire and getting something out of it. And then it becomes music canon.

As much as I want to slap Mayer for "Your Body Is A Wonderland", he's still going to play some awesome guitar stuff in it. No argument from me, that guy can play. The end.

For some offbeat stuff, Junior Brown is a synthesizer. Everything from anywhere can make it into his tunes, from Ernest Tubbs to Jimi Hendrix.
  20. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Anyone remember these guys (1981) I havent heard this song for a good 20 -25 years. A one hit wonder band but one of my favorite songs of the time.
  21. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    the lady playin bass for this set was like 19 at the time..not too shabby. Beck has done just about everything you can on a guit-box...few years back he did an electronic album..."Jeff" pretty cool
    Soundchasm likes this.
  22. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I still say Berton Averre nailed the most underrated rock guitar solo in history. And Prescott Niles with a thumb pick on the bass ain't bad either.

Soundchasm likes this.
  23. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    might have seen the video back in the eighties, but still a wicked guitar.

Seasoned Oak likes this.
  24. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Where else but hearth .com can you get advice about your wood stove and a good guitar solo all in the same place.:cool::p:rolleyes:
  25. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    We have jersey and texas humor too, as well as Jags and Fossils free sarcasm services.