Finding a Triple Pane Glass Sliding Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
I want to build a deck and want to buy a 5 or 6 ft triple or quadruple pane sliding glass door if possible and not cost prohibitive. Anyone have one or know where I can get one?

I want more than a double pain argon injected glazed door for insulation if the price isn't going to kill me. I am not sure what my budget is for that yet.

Thanks.

I would recommend looking for double pane plus thin film. A triple pane glass sliding door would be pretty heavy. I know Alpen makes windows with this tech, I'm sure their are others. They may make sliding doors too.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

In reality you do not need the argon - just a totally sealed dead air space- course a vacume would be perfect, but as with argon its gonna leak out or in eventually. My dual pain argons are 6 years old and holding up well so far. I also hope to be out of this home by this time next year as I want to consolidate everything in one location, If I do it right I can cut my overhead by about $1200/mo. possibly a bit more when considering insurance costs in the mix. The $1200 is just shop rent and fuel back and forth/mo.

The Two biggest manufactures in the US are Marvin and Weather Shield
there may be others . most manufactures in Canada make them
I have no idea what they cost but I will bet big $

I think you are going to run into the law of diminishing returns. Sliders are inherently "leaky" due to the need for the doors to slide in their tracks. There is large amount of potential infiltration. Sliders usually are replaced with double French door units that dont need sliding door seals and they rely on a compression seal when closed. Throwing triple glaze at conventional sliding glass door really doesn't buy you much as the majority of the heat loss is via infiltration.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and go with a French door. Sliders are leakers by design.

Reactions: Ashful
You may want to look in Europe or Scandinavia. I believe triple glazed units are more widely used there.

You may want to look in Europe or Scandinavia. I believe triple glazed units are more widely used there.
You don't have to go that far . Alaska ,Yukon , North West Territories
Triple pane windows are as common as double pain here
They are also becoming more common in most if not
all Canadian Province's

I think you are going to run into the law of diminishing returns. Sliders are inherently "leaky" due to the need for the doors to slide in their tracks. There is large amount of potential infiltration. Sliders usually are replaced with double French door units that dont need sliding door seals and they rely on a compression seal when closed. Throwing triple glaze at conventional sliding glass door really doesn't buy you much as the majority of the heat loss is via infiltration.

Greg13"
"

Ok, I'm open to the idea of French doors and my wife likes that idea better. Know anyone that makes good triple pane and that seems to offer a good seal? Thanks.

Another vote for French doors . . . besides the added benefit of better seals . . . they're great when you need a really wide opening to move something wide inside the home as you can open both of them up.

I think we put in Peachtree Prados back in 1998 . . . no issues with them whatsoever.

... and they're any ugly reminder of the late 1960's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.