Finding a wood stove to work in my existing chimney feels like rocket science, please help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beach4good

Sep 30, 2014
asheville NC
Been looking for a wood stove to fit into this existing brick fireplace in my 1930's home, sq ft is 1400 ft and will be main source of heat. I'd like a glass door. I've searched and searched and am frustrated that the ones I love will not work. I'd hoped to spend about $1000. but that's seeming unlikely:) Installation will be around 1400. (is that reasonable?) Forgive the bad drawing please. The top height of the opening is 28 1/2 " and the depth of the opening is 29" on the bottom and then curves up to 19" at the top. Ideally I'd like it to sit inside the opening so I don't have to choose a rear vent. Thanks so much for any help, I'm losing my mind trying to figure this out.
. 004.JPG 002.JPG

Your best bet will be a stove with a rear exit, many will fit that height. What is the reason for not wanting to go this route?

Your best bet will be a stove with a rear exit, many will fit that height. What is the reason for not wanting to go this route?
Thanks for your reply. First there didn't seem to be much to choose from in my price range but mainly I was concerned after reading on here about 90 degree bends and draft/ smoke issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was expecting to see you were from NM or something... What's with the fireplace...different!

I was expecting to see you were from NM or something... What's with the fireplace...different!
The house has arched doorways so it matches those, Spanish Colonial meets Art Deco style i guess, built in 1930.

Attachments

• 6592e8c303602fc7_2617-w240-h376-b0-p0--home-design.jpg
    6592e8c303602fc7_2617-w240-h376-b0-p0--home-design.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by a moderator:
The draft will be ok if the flue is tall enough. 16-25ft is a good nominal height. How tall is the chimney?

I'm wondering if the Jotul F3CB will fit in there. Take some chalk and mark 23" high on each side of the arch. Then measure the width and report it here. The 602 and some small Morso stoves should fit in there as well. And looks like the Jotul F100 would slip right in. None of these stoves though are good for 24/7 heating. The firebox is too small.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm wondering if the Jotul F3CB will fit in there. Take some chalk and mark 23" high on each side of the arch. Then measure the width and report it here. The 602 and some small Morso stoves should fit in there as well. And looks like the Jotul F100 would slip right in. None of these stoves though are good for 24/7 heating. The firebox is too small.

30" across at 23"high. I've lived the last two winters in this house with only space heaters and just basically avoided half the freezing house so anything would be an improvement but I'd love to go ahead and get one that really heats the space.

Even if you're able to find a woodburner that will work in that location, whether or not it will adequately heat the entire living space to your expectation/satisfaction is a whole other question. Solid fuel-burning appliances are space heaters, working entirely by radiation and convection. They do a terrific job (if properly sized) in heating their immediate surroundings, but they don't move heat sideways or down. Fans (or installed blowers) can be used to good effect in lots of cases to extend the "reach" of the appliance...but not always. A floor plan of your unique and very interesting looking home would be useful in this discussion. A simple sketch will suffice. Welcome to Hearth.com. Rick

I love the Jotul F3CB, would it fit and heat the space?

Based on your measurements it may fit. It will heat the space for the most part but you will be feeding it every 4 hrs in cold weather. Another option might be to put in an insert without the surround. That will give you the steel stove look. Is there a flat floor in the fireplace?

Note that any new stove is going to need dry, fully seasoned wood to do so. How's the wood supply?

Even if you're able to find a woodburner that will work in that location, whether or not it will adequately heat the entire living space to your expectation/satisfaction is a whole other question. Solid fuel-burning appliances are space heaters, working entirely by radiation and convection. They do a terrific job (if properly sized) in heating their immediate surroundings, but they don't move heat sideways or down. Fans (or installed blowers) can be used to good effect in lots of cases to extend the "reach" of the appliance...but not always. A floor plan of your unique and very interesting looking home would be useful in this discussion. A simple sketch will suffice. Welcome to Hearth.com. Rick

Thanks Rick, I had a wood stove in my home in Texas so I'm pretty aware what they will and will not do. I'd be thrilled with it heating the lr/dr space. Thanks for the unique and interesting home comment, it is and I adore it in the summer but winter not so much. I'd love to change that.

Last edited:
Based on your measurements it may fit. It will heat the space for the most part but you will be feeding it every 4 hrs in cold weather. Another option might be to put in an insert without the surround. That will give you the steel stove look. Is there a flat floor in the fireplace?

Note that any new stove is going to need dry, fully seasoned wood to do so. How's the wood supply?

The floor isn't flat.
Need to buy wood.

How rough is the floor of the fireplace, just a little bumpy or up and down and in bad shape? You need to buy wood in spring. It's almost impossible to find truly seasoned wood now. If you have to buy now, avoid hickory and oak and try for ash.

How rough is the floor of the fireplace, just a little bumpy or up and down and in bad shape? You need to buy wood in spring. It's almost impossible to find truly seasoned wood now. If you have to buy now, avoid hickory and oak and try for ash.

I misunderstood, it's not bumpy just has a single brick edge on each side. I marked them in the drawing. Inside that is flat and smooth.

OK, I saw that on your drawing. It looks like you could fit a decent sized insert in there. Better than a smaller freestanding stove. Something like this Century would fit. The surround can be left off.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442426_200442426

With the insert this low it's important to know what is under the brick hearth. Is there a basement below where you can check and see if it has a concrete or brick form below it? The Century has an R=.8 requirement for the hearth.

Last edited:
OK, I saw that on your drawing. It looks like you could fit a decent sized insert in there. Better than a smaller freestanding stove. Something like this Century would fit. The surround can be left off.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442426_200442426

With the insert this low it's important to know what is under the brick hearth. Is there a basement below where you can check and see if it has a concrete or brick form below it? The Century has an R=.8 requirement for the hearth.

Still liking the Jotul F3CB the best, thanks to everyone for all the help. Calling it quits for tonight:)

Pretty much sure I'm going with the Jotul f3cb thanks to all the great advice here, hard to find a price on these online and waiting to hear back from the dealer. Ballpark?

This is the living room and now I'm thinking I need to paint the fireplace wall red before I get the wood stove in. Anyone in Asheville NC area who does installations? The options I have so far seem kind of pricey. Anyone want to paint the wall for me:)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 157
Did you look at the Bucks? They all function as both free stander and inserts so if you find one that fits you could go either way with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.