Finding firewood logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Where do you find loads of logs to buy for firewood. Do you start by calling lumber yards? and is it a big cost saving over splitt firewood.

What you need to do is find a logger in your area. There are probably some listed in the Yellow Pages under Timber Harvesting Contractors or Logging Contractors. You can also try to hook up with a landclearing contractor.

You can save quite a bit buying logs by the load and cutting them up yourself. Depending on where you live, a load of logs should be somewhere between $50 and $75 a cord, and a log truck generally holds between 5 and 10 cords, depending on the size of the rig.

Where do you live?

I live in Ceil County Maryland 21921.

I talked to the county roads dept. They said you could pick up the wood if its in the road easement. I don't really know what a
road easement is. If no house are very close and the cut wood is 5-10ft off the road is that a road easement?

Is it within the county's right to give you permission? I know I would be a little miffed if I came upon a scrounger (or a tresspasser) on my land without permission.

Let me see what I can dig up next week.

A good place to ask for logs is the owner of the husky or stihl chainsaw shop...these guys usually know the people pretty well and can give you a couple names of loggers to call and check prices.

velvetfoot said:
Is it within the county's right to give you permission? I know I would be a little miffed if I came upon a scrounger (or a tresspasser) on my land without permission.

I don't feel comfortable with picking it off the side of the road, but it bugs me seeing it just sit there when the land is part of a corporate center. Now I don't have a problem with picking up wood that people have dumped along side the road. Which they do all the time around here.

johnsopi said:
I talked to the county roads dept. They said you could pick up the wood if its in the road easement. I don't really know what a
road easement is. If no house are very close and the cut wood is 5-10ft off the road is that a road easement?

Generally around here, it would be from the edge of the road to any type of fence. If for some reason there is no fence, it is considered to be from the edge of the road to at least the center of the ditch. But either one of these could vary in your area.

Corey

I would call tree services in you'r area. Or if you see them working stop and ask. You mite be able to get it for FREE

I stopped today when I saw a tree crew taking a big poplur down.They were more happy to give it to me. Saved them two loads.From now on if I'm in the truck and see them cutting I'm going to stop. It's a win win situation.

Give them you'r phone number and if they are in you'r area they can tell you where the wood is.

Status
Not open for further replies.