Finding hidden fasteners in an old wall cabinet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave11

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
Western PA
In my 1951 bathroom, there's a large cabinet on the wall above the commode, measuring 32X35X11, that I want to remove. It's really heavy.

Problem is, I can find no screws or nails anywhere inside it. The interior is painted, and the paint contains lead.

I'm assuming it was anchored from the inside using screws, countersunk and then filled/painted?

Even finding the studs behind it is hard, as the cabinet goes nearly to the ceiling, and beneath it is tile and metal lath.

Am I left with having to strip the paint from the inside, to find the fasteners? Or is there a way I'm not seeing?

Thanks.

Sometimes you have to break some eggs to make an omelette. Start bashing it on the side. You'll eventually see the attachment locations. Don't worry about the lead paint. It won't hurt you. Lead paint will effect malnourished young children. If you have young children, keep the door closed and clean up well with a wet cloth when done.

If the unit is solid wood and installed in the 50s
it may have been built in place and probably
not screed but nailed in place . Try to
remove it carefully could be worth some
money to an Antique dealer even covered
in paint . A magnetic stud finder should work
well as stated above

You'll find nails,up near the top. Use a magnet, don't eat the paint but don't fear it either.

If you have to, a sawsall with a fine metal blade and carefully cut it off of the wall.

If you have to, a sawsall with a fine metal blade and carefully cut it off of the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.