Finding Pallets to burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleby

Feb 16, 2008
Eastern PA
For any of you guys that end up burning a few pallets to finish off the year where do you get them. Just asking busniess's????

Usually a pallet or two behind the shopping center.

If you dont have a pick up or a trailer,
you going to have to carry a ni cad battery opperated chain saw in your car trunk with an extra battery,
or a sledge hammer to break up the pallet with. But the sledge hammer is way noisy, a dead give away that something is going on. ni cad rechargable Battery opperated chain saw wisper quiet.

Also, if you put a dc to ac inverter on your car altinator,you can run a 120 ac electric chain saw.

When it comes to scrounging free fire wood , I knows most of the tricks. %-P

Eernest,

How do you attach an dc/ac converter to an alternator? Or is there something that I could buy to run it through the car's cigarette lighter?

Good news is I have a truck. I got screwed by the wood man wiht wet wood so I need enough wood to get me through about March 15th when it warms up here in PA enough to kill the heat. I should be able to do that with Pallets.

You will probably be better off running a high wattage inverter directly off the battery.... the alternator can be a scary place to be adding wiring

Clownfish99 said:
Eernest,

How do you attach an dc/ac converter to an alternator? Or is there something that I could buy to run it through the car's cigarette lighter?

Actually, depending on the model that you buy, I seen some on the internet that just clamp to the pos & neg battery terminals, like jumping a car battery with cables.

They also have some smaller units that plug into the cigarette lighter, but those would be too small to power an electric chain saw. The inverters that do power a chain saw ran around $179.oo to 250.oo price range, but its a handy item to have to run any electric power tool when you without electricity or even to keep a pellet stove running in a power outage or your central oil burner , for that matter.

Back in the 1970 is see one that bolted up to the back of the altinator & I suspose that
www.jcwhitney.com has a bunch for sale. also look at
www.harborfrieght.com
www.northerntools.com
www.cummingstools.com
www.homier.com

If you are going to use it for an electric chain saw , read the lable of the saw & look for the wattage the saw uses, if you cant find that,look for the current in amps or amperage and the voltage Vac

P=E x I
power,in watts= voltage x amperage

You need to buy a dc to ac inverter that is powerfull enough to supply the tool you want to opperate & have some extra capacity left so that you dont end up frying a too small of an output inverter.

If something happens to slow down or stop the chain from spinning free,(like getting the chain & bar pinched by a colapsing wood cut) the chain saw motor pulls more current to try to handle the heavier mechanical work load. This is reflected back to the inverter as a demand for more watts output & if the inverter does not have enough extra watts (not built heavy duty enough to take it) then the inverter may fry its circuits trying to put out more juice than it was designed for.

They say that it has trip out breakers to disconnect it before it fries itself & maybe that works to save the unit & maybe it don't cut off soon enough & the inverter fries.

If you buy the next larger size, you have a chance of not ruining the inverter because it is more heavy duty.

My best advise is if you think you are going to use it a lot, by the biggest one you can afford
as it will power many more tools,lights. appliances ,radio or tv than a smaller one could.

Also, do some serious compairison shopping, you could save 50-75 dollars.

http://www.4lots.com/browseproducts/PROwatt-1750.html

here is another internet site for dc to ac inverters. I dont know what is a good price to pay so you have to compair prices & wattages.

The higher the wattage output, the higher the price & the more heavy duty so compair units of the same wattage output to other make units of the same wattage output.
good luck, very handy item to have. If some one see it,someone steal it from you,so keep locked in trunk.

Backpack09 said:
You will probably be better off running a high wattage inverter directly off the battery.... the alternator can be a scary place to be adding wiring

Backpack,you are right & power inverters have changed. All the new ones hook up direct to the battery with just a set of battery jumper cables.

They need to hook direct to the battery terminals, these days, to tap the extra power of the battery if the altinator is not putting out enough juice to satisfy them.
And actually the pos battery terminal is the same point electrically as the altinator output terminal, only issolated from it by a fuse to protect the altinator from catastrophic amperage draw.

But I got stuck in my brain, a dc to ac inverter that I saw in the jc whitney catalog back in the early 1970's, & in my mind , someone say inverter, & the picture of that little box that bolt on to the flat back of the altinator & have a house wall female plug on it, always pops into my head, complete with the black & white drawing of it, in the catalog.

I never bought it but I must have wanted it more than i ever realized to have it engraved in my memory, so deeply. Heck, most altinators dont even have flat backs anymore except maybe some gm models, & I have my doubts about that.

Funny what sticks in ones head.

Status
Not open for further replies.