Fine ash everywhere in Great Room, wife displeased...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a wood stove, it makes ash. You can try your best but it will still happen, just part of burning.

just part of burning.
That's what I thought until I switched stoves. We used to clean our indoor plants every few weeks in the winter due to so much dust. Now, there is nothing.
I used to cool the stove down and vacuum out the stove's air vents that got clogged with ash and slowed the secondaries. Haven't had to vacuum yet with the new one. Sweep up the wood debris on the hearth is all that is needed.
Most important of all, guests used to come in and smell the wood stove. That means we were breathing ash dust for 30 yrs. Now they are surprised it's even on when they arrive. No smell, except outside.

That's pretty common.We need to remind folks that are purchasing an insert that this is an undesirable side effect of some flush designs.

Thanks all, and I feel like a moron for not using an ash vac earlier!

Status
Not open for further replies.