fine brown dust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cammee

Nov 13, 2008
northern indiana
Ok, got a little warmer weather here so I decided to do a good cleaning on the burner.
When I banged on the interior pipe I got a fair amount of fine brown dust that fell out of the pipe. Is this normal? I burned one of those creasote logs last month, is that why this is falling out? Creasote in wet and sticky right? Do I have something to worry about here or is this normal buildup?
Thanks
Cammee

cammee said:
Ok, got a little warmer weather here so I decided to do a good cleaning on the burner.
When I banged on the interior pipe I got a fair amount of fine brown dust that fell out of the pipe. Is this normal? I burned one of those creasote logs last month, is that why this is falling out? Creasote in wet and sticky right? Do I have something to worry about here or is this normal buildup?
Thanks
Cammee
yes that creasote log dryed and losen it up

Creosote doesn't stay wet forever but wet or dry, it is black, not brown.

it is normal for creo to fall after the log is burnt, thats what its suppose to do!!!! it is still mandatory to have your chimney swept ATLEAST once a year but the creo log allows you to kind of clean the chimney w/out getting on the roof. it is a good idea to move alot of air through (fast, hot air) the chimney a couple of days after the log is burnt, you will hear creo fall like rain. make sure these deposits get cleaned out asap as creo is very very flammable.

Status
Not open for further replies.