fine tuning radiant heat & pump speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longboarder2

Feb 14, 2012
southern NJ
as mentioned before: i have a harmon sf160 add-on wood boiler in line with a utica oil boiler. when i built my house, all of the armstrong circulators were just one speed. last year when i installed my harman, i learned that armstrong now makes them all 3-speed. so, the question:

the circulator that runs constant between my two boilers has always been set on 1 (of 3). should i allow it to run faster (to more quickly pull cooler water into the wood boiler. or, should it run slower(the way it has been), so the water spends more time in the wood boiler to heat up before going into the supply side of the oil boiler?

2nd question:

i have 4 radiant floors in my house 2 small bathroom, 1 large bath and the kitchen (biggest). all on the first floor except 1 small bath upstairs. lately, i have not felt much warmth in the hallway bath on the first floor (1 small bath) all of the floors are pretty equal distance from the boiler.how do i fine tune the manifold so i have even flow thru all zones?

there is a white knob on the bottom of the return-side manifold for each zone. there is also an allen-key screw adjustment behind a brass cap on the supply side manifold for each zone.

currently, i have the allen-screws on the supply side for each zone run in halfway. i have the white knob on the return side of (the bath that isnt getting much heat) wide open. all of the others are set about halfway.

how should these adjustments be set?

I have several radiant loops, and have the little flow meters on the manifold to aproximate flow in each circuit. I have not balanced any with the longest being 340' and shortest 260'. All flow aproximatly the same. All heat the same, all 1/2" pex with a single Taco 008 pushing water through them. Unless the hallway in question is at the end of a run and is served by slightly cooler water or there is a lack or tubing/surface area I don't see how more flow will make any difference.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.