fines in the chute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dianajo

Apr 6, 2014
strafford
I am using a high quality pellet and noticed that there is an amount of fines accumulating at the bottom of the chute. I am concerned about a risk of fire, is this possible?

Are you talking about your hopper chute?
What kind of stove do you have?

I am using a high quality pellet and noticed that there is an amount of fines accumulating at the bottom of the chute. I am concerned about a risk of fire, is this possible?
No...
The fines, [if they drop and get pushed into the burnpot will burn same as pellets.....still wood....
If not, they will just sit in the hopper and eventually make the're way down after u dump in the next bag...
you can also vacuum them out at the bottom before u put the next bag in if concerned...

My P61 accumulates a lot of fines in the hopper chute, also the fines box. Last time I cleaned my fines box was 3 weeks ago and I opened it up yesterday to find it fairly well packed. I usually do that every other week but recently went to an every other week cleaning schedule since the onset of the shoulder season.. So the fines box cleaning got delayed. It's purpose is to collect fines but I find pellets in there as well. Additionally I'm sure the stove burns fines perfectly well.

On a Harmon it's very unlikely you would have a hopper fire, between that fines box collecting a lot of fines there also is a trap door that opens and re shuts as pellets feed. This closes off the hopper chute. It would take quite the combination of issues to produce a hopper fire.

My P61 accumulates a lot of fines in the hopper chute, also the fines box. Last time I cleaned my fines box was 3 weeks ago and I opened it up yesterday to find it fairly well packed. I usually do that every other week but recently went to an every other week cleaning schedule since the onset of the shoulder season.. So the fines box cleaning got delayed. It's purpose is to collect fines but I find pellets in there as well. Additionally I'm sure the stove burns fines perfectly well.

On a Harmon it's very unlikely you would have a hopper fire, between that fines box collecting a lot of fines there also is a trap door that opens and re shuts as pellets feed. This closes off the hopper chute. It would take quite the combination of issues to produce a hopper fire.
My Fines box get's opened and cleaned now each interval which is approx 10 days or so..
More so since I find lot of broken up pellets in there along with the fines...between taking the back cover off, cleaning the box and putting cover back on,
and extra 15 minutes.. no biggie and I feel better...

My Fines box get's opened and cleaned now each interval which is approx 10 days or so..
More so since I find lot of broken up pellets in there along with the fines...between taking the back cover off, cleaning the box and putting cover back on,
and extra 15 minutes.. no biggie and I feel better...
Yes, I usually do mine every 14 days which is every other cleaning. In mid winter I did it weekly. And you are correct, it adds maybe 15 minutes to the general cleaning on a P61. I imagine a young well coordinated person used to doing that could trim a little time off of that number. But that isn't me any more !

Yes, I usually do mine every 14 days which is every other cleaning. In mid winter I did it weekly. And you are correct, it adds maybe 15 minutes to the general cleaning on a P61. I imagine a young well coordinated person used to doing that could trim a little time off of that number. But that isn't me any more !
how's the Energex Hardwoods working out for ya?
asume it's the American/green bags.....

how's the Energex Hardwoods working out for ya?
asume it's the American/green bags.....
I burned the Enetgex Hardwoods back in the first part of March. I'm burning Energex Premium Soft wood now. I prefer the hard but will burn either. The bag is green yes. But what I found with hard wood version is a lower flame height for me he same heat. Very clear flame too. Same ash content. The soft wood ash is more cheek ash overnight . The hard wood still ashy though. I figure a lower flame in similar conditions trabslates to a bit less fuel consumption. I would lay some in for next winter for at last part of my supply.

I swear this cell phone writes what wants, not the snartest smart phone. !

I swear this cell phone writes what wants, not the snartest smart phone. !
I'll be using these Energex for the Brunt of cold winter After January...very low Ash and Higher Btu.. but, Mileage may vary so we'll see...

Attachments

• Bag_PremiumHardwood.png
    Bag_PremiumHardwood.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 111
I'll be using these Energex for the Brunt of cold winter After January...very low Ash and Higher Btu.. but, Mileage may vary so we'll see...
If Tractor supply continues with their hard wood pellets next year I may get some of those. To me they burned with a slight bit less ash than the Energex Premium Hardwoods and cost less. However I heard they are changing suppliers to a Canadian supplier for next season, time will tell. If they do then all bets are off till I try the new pellets out. Around here Tractor Supply has the best price of anyone, including HD.

I was pretty happy with The Energex Premium hardwoods though and I know the supplier is planning on many tons of those at least and have 22 tons in stock right now. Their other line is LG and those are ok but given a choice between those and La Crete then I would buy the La Crete. LG they will not have till going into next heating season.

Not sure if I might pick up some DF's too. it's early yet to decide. I will wait and see what starts showing up at a decent price. At that time I will start buying by the ton. this season is winding down, my stove is loafing ! It was almost 60 out today, down to 55 right now.. The beauty of the pellet stove vs coal is being witnessed first hand during this season !

You didn't say what kind of stove you had, because bottom of chute can mean different things to different stoves, but in general, there's no risk of fire.

Reactions: hoverfly
Status
Not open for further replies.