1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbrogley

jbrogley New Member

Loc:
    WI
    We've been storing our pellets OUTSIDE in a metal pole building on a pallet. I assumed that's where everyone keeps theirs. What ELSE do you do with a ton of pellets.

Where do you put your pellets?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. johnnywarm

johnnywarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut

Sorry you have problems with your stove. Thank you for letting us know about it.
  3. johnnywarm

Loc:
    Connecticut

Garage or the cellar. Its a walk in celler.
  4. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Right now I have 3 tons in my shop which is just across the patio from our back door. Pretty convenient but I want my floor space back! The other day I was trying to work a 12' board into a saw and I snagged a bag of pellets with the end...pellets everywhere! :ahhh:

I think during the summer I'll build a shelter, something similar to a covered wood rack only larger, down one side of the patio to store pellets in. I guess as long as they are on a pallet and covered to prevent any blowing rain from getting in they'll be okay.
  5. jamorris

jamorris New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I don't believe fines are a brand issue. It is more who is handling the pallets in shipping. I am told some get shipped and are repackaged onto pallets. If you ever go pick up a ton, or two on your own, observe your own tendencies when re-stacking the bags at home. After a bit, you get a mite sloppy with how you throw them about. It is an easy thing to understand.

Jerry
  6. urethane dino

urethane dino New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    My pellets do leave the pallet till I bring them into the house. I have them delievred via a spider lift from a lumber yard. I cover and tarp them, then move them into my garage using my skid steer with pallet forks. Less handling means less fines.
    Dino
  7. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Dino, you lucky dog you! I believe I hate you! LOL :lol:
  8. johnnywarm

Loc:
    Connecticut

i have found, if you get some bags that a very small amount of the pellets get's wet they puff up and turn into a powder.
  9. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    You guys are lucky.
    Wish I had a garage......LOL

We get our pellets (3 ton) delivered in one shot and then they have
    get carried one bag at a time into our below grade basement...

The knees and back are dead by the time the last bag gets in there,
    but well worth it!
  10. BIGISLANDHIKERS

BIGISLANDHIKERS Feeling the Heat

We have a pellet factory about 2 miles from me and everyone seems to carry them. They are like a grocery item for me. I buy maybe 10 bags at a time and leave them in the back of the van. The weight helps with traction and I even used a bag to get me unstuck. Hated tossing them on the ground like that but was glad I had them :)
  11. minnow

minnow Member

Loc:
    Upstate New York

I used a metal screen top made for keeping animals in a 10 gallon aquarium and then cut 1x2's to make a frame and then attached the screen top to the frame. Then attached two handles(also known as drawer pulls) at each end of the frame box. I got the handles from a hardware store.
  12. petejung

petejung New Member

I hauled all of mine so far (2 tons) down into the basement. I need the exercise.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.