Finished Fireplace Makeover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zachhandler

Nov 23, 2009
Minnesota
Hey everybody. I was last active on this site a couple of years ago when I planning to place an insert in my fireplace. I had lots of issues with clearance to the mantle and all the other combustible things around the fireplace. I really wanted a free standing woodstove, but getting one would eat up to much of the living room. What I ended up doing was getting a cheap drolet insert at menards, and installing it without the metal surround. To my eye the surround made the thing look like a pizza oven and not a wood stove, but that's just my own personal taste. I toyed with the idea of tiling over the metal surround to make it look nice, and even experimented with some heat resistant silicone caulk and natural slate, but eventually gave up on that idea.

The project turned out to be a lot more involved than I had anticipated, mostly because I had to cut away so much floor to make room for a hearth that was up to code in terms of size and r-value. I also had to trim back a bit on the wood surrounding the fireplace. The funny thing is that even if i build the biggest raging fire I can, the surfaces around the fireplace barely get warm to the touch. I'm glad it's up to code, but in retrospect I question how truly necessary all that insulation is.

Placing the flexible chimney liner was a bear because it was january, freezing cold, there was a foot of snow on the roof, and because of time constraints I had to drop the thing in at 1:00 in the morning.

As far as the drolet insert I am very satisfied. It is simple and robust and burns well. The fan moves quite a bit of air and the noise is not bad. I was not satisfied with the thermocouple that turns the fan on and off (takes forever before it kicks in), so I just bypassed this and operate the fan manually. The electric cord wraps behind the unit and then down the ash drop and into the basement where there is an outlet. I housed the cord in that spiral metal electric conduit, and routed it such that there is no contact between the conduit and the insert. The only complaint I have with the drolet insert is that if the cover over the fan is not fully in place, as small gap can from between the fan cover and the insert. If a hot cinder falls into this gap, it will get blown out the vent at the top of the stove. This happened once. No damage done, but an eye opener. has not happened since and I am careful to have the thing fully in place.

The total cost of the project, including the insert, chimney liner, insulation kit, building supplies, and some new power tools was about $1900, but the tax rebate that was available at the time cut the cost to under $1500. I have no idea what it would have cost to get the thing done professionally. But with cutting a hole to the basement and rebuilding the floor, I reckon it would have cost a fortune.

Thank you everybody for all the advice with this project. Here is a link to some of the pictures I took along the way. Also, I have an extra sheet of micore 300 in my garage if anybody wants it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/zachhandler/FirePlaceProject

I'd love to see the pics, but the link says page not found. Can you post some images directly to the forum using the Post Reply option?

Wow, this sounds like my situation exactly!!! Small fireplace, little clearance to mantle and I want a good sized stove! After getting lots of great suggestions on this site, I still find myself in the same boat as you and am now considering taking off my mantle. I got a recommendation for someone in my area who does this work and is very reasonable, so I'm going to have him take a look. I'd love to see your pics (I too couldn't see them on the link as it said page not found). As of now, I have a very beautiful fireplace and mantle, so it will be a shame to have to change it unless I can make it look nice, but I want some good heat. So, was it all worth it?

Thanks!

K

KennyK said:
Wow, this sounds like my situation exactly!!! Small fireplace, little clearance to mantle and I want a good sized stove! After getting lots of great suggestions on this site, I still find myself in the same boat as you and am now considering taking off my mantle. I got a recommendation for someone in my area who does this work and is very reasonable, so I'm going to have him take a look. I'd love to see your pics (I too couldn't see them on the link as it said page not found). As of now, I have a very beautiful fireplace and mantle, so it will be a shame to have to change it unless I can make it look nice, but I want some good heat. So, was it all worth it?

Thanks!

K

Got to the link now, and all I can say is, "GREAT WORK!!!" Wow, I wish I were that handy!

Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated. Here attached is a pic of my fireplace.

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-11-13 at 13.57.jpg
    Photo on 2011-11-13 at 13.57.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 391
KennyK - I actually started to take the crow bar to my beautiful old mantle to remove the thing. I had given up on the idea of being able to keep my mantle and have a decent wood fired heater. A few knocks with the crow bar and I stopped. The mantle was solid wood and built into the plaster. I dont think they make them that way any more. At least not for cheap. I realized I was about to ruin something old and precious. So I put down the tools and started thinking harder. It all comes down to the specs on the insert you are looking at, and how much clearance you need to the various parts of the mantle and "legs". It is possible to install heat deflecting metal wings to reduce the clearance needed. I have seen these on people's fireplaces and they actually don't look that bad. I think you would stop noticing them very quickly. Bottom line, yes I am very glad I did this project. We used to never use the fire place as it threw little heat and just cooled down the house. Now when I make a fire it is magic. Every person and every animal in the house comes into the living room to enjoy the warmth. It's like a big mammal magnet. Good luck!

very nice, does not look like any animals were harmed during the make of this film, pics or new insert.
:)

Buckthorn Burner said:
KennyK - I actually started to take the crow bar to my beautiful old mantle to remove the thing. I had given up on the idea of being able to keep my mantle and have a decent wood fired heater. A few knocks with the crow bar and I stopped. The mantle was solid wood and built into the plaster. I dont think they make them that way any more. At least not for cheap. I realized I was about to ruin something old and precious. So I put down the tools and started thinking harder. It all comes down to the specs on the insert you are looking at, and how much clearance you need to the various parts of the mantle and "legs". It is possible to install heat deflecting metal wings to reduce the clearance needed. I have seen these on people's fireplaces and they actually don't look that bad. I think you would stop noticing them very quickly. Bottom line, yes I am very glad I did this project. We used to never use the fire place as it threw little heat and just cooled down the house. Now when I make a fire it is magic. Every person and every animal in the house comes into the living room to enjoy the warmth. It's like a big mammal magnet. Good luck!

Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement. My mantle is old and precious, but I feel like I keep hitting a brick wall (or a mantle!) with this one. I have such little clearance, and am reluctant to get a tiny stove (if I can even fit a tiny stove). I'm happy to put up a heat deflective shield. Here's what I'm working with:

From one side of the mantle to the other is 42 inches
From the bottom of the fireplace to the top mantle is 35 inches

Fireplace Opening:
30" Height X 30" Width at opening
19-1/2" Width at back
14-3/4" Deep

My hearth is marble and extends 18-1/2"

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Kenny

KennyK said:
Buckthorn Burner said:

Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement. My mantle is old and precious, but I feel like I keep hitting a brick wall (or a mantle!) with this one. I have such little clearance, and am reluctant to get a tiny stove (if I can even fit a tiny stove). I'm happy to put up a heat deflective shield. Here's what I'm working with:

From one side of the mantle to the other is 42 inches
From the bottom of the fireplace to the top mantle is 35 inches

Fireplace Opening:
30" Height X 30" Width at opening
19-1/2" Width at back
14-3/4" Deep

My hearth is marble and extends 18-1/2"

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Kenny

I too have an old mantle which did not meet required clearances, but which I love dearly. And I was mentally struggling with what to do about it as I didn't like the black metal shields particularly. I came up with the idea of using tempered glass in place of the metal, that would at least let the mantle show. Hadn't gotten final approval on that yet, but it might be worth investigating further. What I actually ended up doing was understand exactly where the clearances apply. By placing my free standing stove farther out on the hearth (which had to be extended anyway), I got my stove past the mantel shelf overhang. Once I did that, the top clearance of 30" no longer applied, only the rear clearance (have a rear heat shield on the stove) of 7" applied. So, now my stove sits 2" in front of the farthest extent of the mantel shelf and I don't have to use a mantel shield. Hope this makes sense and helps. By the way, I really like both of your mantles, well worth preserving! Good luck.

Personally, I'd have a tough time removing those nice hearths and mantles, too, so I totally understand your hesitation.

Even if I had to do a bit extra I'd really look at the free standing stoves that are made for alcove installs (there a few out there, such as the Hearthstone Homestead).

What some folks do is simply build a hearth pad that lays on top of the current hearth pad and floor.

great job Buckthorn.....looks like the "tribe" enjoys the build also....

Great job and pics Buck! That's a decent looking insert for the money too..

Ray

holy fire gods, that is an awesome documentary on your install. You even got the shot of the stove at the store! WOW! Love all the pets inspecting your work. Either they love fire or you set up the shots, either way, very cool. Thanks for the laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.