Finished splitting next years ash!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Finally found some time to knock the last cord or so out today. It'll stay in the heap till spring and get stacked once the snow is gone.

Any guess on how many cords it'll stack into? It's heaped around 6' high give or take on 12 pallets(3x4) and overflowed them. I have an idea how much is there but it's always fun to hear guesses that are usually all over the place. :lol:

Attachments

• P1170019.jpg
    P1170019.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 403
  • P1170021.jpg
    P1170021.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 382
Good job! My guess is there's...........some wood in that pile. Ha!

My guess is there is much heat to make you happy next year. Good job rdust.

Lots of wood to do in a day rdust...good for you.

nice pile, reminds me of when i lived in upstate n.y. 25 years ago....i got free tops laying onthe mountain after it was logged off. all most all of it was ash. i was renting and of limited cash flow so it was great for me. i guess around 3 cord

cass

4-5 cord.

Thats a good days work, nice job. I'd wager about 3 cords worth. Was that all dead ash from the Emerald ash borer? heard its killing a lot of ash in the L.P.

It's now in the eastern U.P. and moving west. Some people around here have allready started cutting it in anticipation of the bug killing it anyway? LOL

Pat

5 cord

nice looking pile!

Thanks guys, not sure what I'm going to do with my weekends now. :lol: Oh wait I have some pine rounds to split now! :)

savageactor7 said:
Lots of wood to do in a day rdust...good for you.

I can't take credit for all that in one day! That's about three days of splitting, I only split about a cord of it yesterday.

patch53 said:
Was that all dead ash from the Emerald ash borer? heard its killing a lot of ash in the L.P.

Pat

Yes, my neighbor had about 30 tree's taken down in Oct. and three of the neighbors helped take it off his hands. He used to burn wood but gave it up for a gas burning stove a few years back. Pretty much everyone around here burns with the exception of a couple neighbors.

SolarAndWood said:
4-5 cord.

Got Wood said:
5 cord

nice looking pile!

I'm also figuring 4-5, time will tell. I know it's bigger then a 3 cord pile(in my avatar) of silver maple I split in the summer.

patch53 said:
Thats a good days work, nice job. I'd wager about 3 cords worth. Was that all dead ash from the Emerald ash borer? heard its killing a lot of ash in the L.P.

It's now in the eastern U.P. and moving west. Some people around here have allready started cutting it in anticipation of the bug killing it anyway? LOL

Pat

Pat, it is so sad to see these beautiful trees all dead or dying. Everyone, including the foresters knew it would hit the U.P. sooner or later. So far they have found no way to stop it. We cut some for lumber but the rest all goes for firewood. I hope you don't have too many of them. If so, say goodbye to them, although it does take a few year for them to completely die. Once they start losing the bark they really look sick.

I cut a couple small ones a day or two ago. Neither one looked really bad but the danged bark started falling off as soon as I cut them.

Status
Not open for further replies.