Finished the Woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The trouble with something that good - it looks easy but i know when i try building mine it will be nothing like that :confused:

One of the nicest ones i have seen.

That's great looking. If your gonna do it, you gotta do it right!! Well done sir.

Wow thats Purdy :)

Did you use any mortises in your knee braces and beams or just toe nail them? Beautiful looking shed. I hope to have one myself one day!

I considered it but they're all just toe nailed. If I was building something other than a wood shed I would have mortised them. I was just going for quick and functional.

I considered it but they're all just toe nailed. If I was building something other than a wood shed I would have mortised them. I was just going for quick and functional.
It definitely looks functional. One more question on the knee braces. How did you determine how long to make them? I know they are just intended to keep the structure from racking and not structural, but was there a formula you used or just what looked good

Bigger is better right?
That's right. Providing you have the room.

Nice woodshed! You obviously have some construction skills and an eye for those finishing touches and aesthetics.
Also nice that you posted the materials cost. It lets people see it really doesn't cost that much more to do it up nice if they care too.
Enjoy your shed.

Reactions: WASP
It definitely looks functional. One more question on the knee braces. How did you determine how long to make them? I know they are just intended to keep the structure from racking and not structural, but was there a formula you used or just what looked good

It was a combination of what looked good and maximizing how many I could get out of one piece of lumber without much waste.

WOW, that is awesome and best of all, spousal approved! Love it, great work!

Amazing wood shed. Very impressive. This is what I had in mind for my wood shed, when I build it. Thanks for sharing!

That looks really good. My only caution to others is get with your county extension agent to see how many of those concrete pier block thingies you would need under your shed on your property. I will need a lot more piers than that, but otherwise that is a prettier version of the shed I think I want.

That looks really good. My only caution to others is get with your county extension agent to see how many of those concrete pier block thingies you would need under your shed on your property. I will need a lot more piers than that, but otherwise that is a prettier version of the shed I think I want.
I don't know anything about the counties opinion on it but I would recommend putting more than I did. I'm in the process of putting 4 more under the skids. If I could change anything, I'd put more piers in and use 4x6's as skids.

It's a beautiful wood shed . . . and since you're in the Pacific Northwest, maybe I'll do as you said and buy the wood and have you come over and help (okay, so it'll have to wait until I move there, but that's coming up in a few months). In fact, I'll even buy the beer! Great job! It really is beautiful.

Reactions: WASP
Status
Not open for further replies.