Finished tiling the Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob95065

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Felton, CA
When we bought our house two years and 11 months ago it was a "contractor's special" that had no wood stove. I installed a free-standing stove in the corner of our living room. First I put cement board on the floor and walls per the stove manufacturer's instructions.

After almost three years my wife has a tiled hearth. I concentrated on other things in the last three years (re-roof the house, fix electrical problems, clear brush, etc.) and came up with a plan for a remodel. My wife picked the tile and I put it up for her.

I think it looks good but the most important thing is she is happy.

20160626_124903_zpsqihuuitd.jpe

Stove installed:

20160626_133503_zpstlattjdy.jpe

Eventually the carpet will be replaced with wood flooring. One step at a time.

No, we didn't test the stove post-install. It was in the 90°s this weekend.

Bob

Whether the house was a "handy man special" to begin with, they always seem to end up that way as there is a never ending list of repairs. The house itself will eat up lots of time and the yard demands more yet! Eventually you get to just maintain for periods of time....

The hearth and wall look really nice. Always good to have both parties agree on materials... Enough front clearance on the hearth? I prefer having the extra space for safety margin and clean-up.

I think it looks great man!

I have a similar color stone to you and a brushed nickel outlet cover really makes it look nice.

Very clean look! Nice work. Feels good to see that finished, huh?

Looks great, well done! What stove is that?

Sharp looking hearth.

Looks very professional. Older Avalon stove?

Avalon Rainier with a blower. I picked it up used on craigslist when we bought the house. I had to buy the blower separate. It does a great job of heating our house in the winter.

I followed the clearance instructions per the manufacturer's instructions. It been a while but I think I added a little in front too. We haven't had a problem with the location of the stove.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Next project it tiling the entry with the same tiles as the hearth floor.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.