Finishing a basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lowroadacres said:
Yikes! Water issues in a basement can have so many different causes so I don't envy you the challenge of figuring it out.

When we built our home we went overboard with the combination of the location, the eavestroughing, weeping tile, crushed rock, blueskin on the exterior etc.

We spent more than we wanted to on the basement but we believe it is worth it.

Yeah. This is an old house (built in 1890) with a stone foundation. Generally its totally dry. Only heavy rains like this storm we are currently getting and/or when the spring thaw hits, coupled with rainy weather at the same time, do i get any water in the basement. It comes in from two areas on the back side of the foundation, and its a slow or (depending on how severe the weather) steady drip comping from one or two joints between the stones.

The previous owners must have had issues with it though, because there is an ashphalt apron along the whole house. Maybe that's why it stays dry for the vast majority of the year. Next purchase I make for the home will be gutters. That should only help things out.

i had water when we first moved in. i was told that very little came in and she was right. but one of the spots is right where a wall is. i've only seen a puddle about one half gallon size. but that is enough for wicking. mine was simple extend the 2 downspouts to push away from the house, and that was it. simple. the grading is ok. that is first order of business. no matter what you do, if your grading is going back at your house, you'll have water.

You guys are nutz. You WANT a wet basement. You WANT to have mold, and bad smells, and ratty furniture, and the crappy TV. If you don't have a walk-out basement so you can piss outside, DO NOT PUT IN A BATHROOM.

As soon as you fix it up, the sharks are going to start circling. Trust me. I've got 5 women in my house. Make it liveable and they won't leave you alone. Leave it a dump and you'll get to keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.