Finishing basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coog

Burning Hunk
Aug 28, 2012
North West Illinois
Well I am still kicking tires at this point but plan to refinish the basement in the near future. With the 7100 upstairs I really do not need more heat in the house (although I think it could get pretty cold down there on the cold nights). I have the old gas fireplace that I was planning to re-install just for looks, but am leaning away from that (don't tell the wife). I just cannot find a point in installing a gas fireplace (except for the $).

I want to put another wood stove down there, free stander this time. I have some work to do in determining the path for the flu but am thinking about installing the stove before the basement is finished. I have half the basement with carpet tiles already and it is a great play area for the kids. Working fine and in no hurry to finish completely.

Anyone done this before? I could alway detach the flu and slide the unit around?

Hey hey, we'll I'm kinda new here but I am in the same boat as you! Although I don't have a stove upstairs I half a half finished basement we were planning on finishing this summer, then I put that on hold so that I could install a stove down there first! Now my basement is essentially finished everywhere but where the stove is going in the rec room there is trim work to do and no flooring! So I just laid my moisture barrier underlay under my pad and started the stove work! After I get the stove completed I will scramble to put flooring down before the winter! If I were you I would finish everything under and behind the stove first that way u don't have to move the darn thing! image.jpg

Hey hey, we'll I'm kinda new here but I am in the same boat as you! Although I don't have a stove upstairs I half a half finished basement we were planning on finishing this summer, then I put that on hold so that I could install a stove down there first! Now my basement is essentially finished everywhere but where the stove is going in the rec room there is trim work to do and no flooring! So I just laid my moisture barrier underlay under my pad and started the stove work! After I get the stove completed I will scramble to put flooring down before the winter! If I were you I would finish everything under and behind the stove first that way u don't have to move the darn thing! View attachment 102471

How are you doing your flu? Do you have a path to the roof?

How are you doing your flu? Do you have a path to the roof?
O yeah sorry forgot to mention! Well I personally am not doing it! I didn't wanna mess around with the installation and burn the place down so I am having to fireplace store install! Initially they wanted to go straight up through the floor( witch is in my kitchen) and through the attic to roof! However where I want the stove won't allow that because there's a patio door and I'm not going to box in the pipe in front of my patio door to my deck it would look terrible and be in the way! Do the stone guy said because I don't have a deep basement and its only a single story home that punching out the wall to a "t" then straight up will not pose a problem! They assured me the stove will still draw fine and realistically this is the only way of doing it!

I am no expert but I thought the more pipe on the inside the better. The more pipe in the heated space the better. Sounds like a separate thread but I could be wrong. I would be hesitant about my draft if I set a 90 and run up 20 feet.

Yes from what I have read the more inside pipe pipe the better! However I have no option and I have been at many people's places where they did the same style of installation and there stove worked fine! In the basement there's not to many options, and like I said the stove guy has been in the situation many times before me and assured me that this would be ok, although he wanted to go straight up through the roof from the basement it's just no happening in my place!

Yes from what I have read the more inside pipe pipe the better! However I have no option and I have been at many people's places where they did the same style of installation and there stove worked fine! In the basement there's not to many options, and like I said the stove guy has been in the situation many times before me and assured me that this would be ok, although he wanted to go straight up through the roof from the basement it's just no happening in my place!

I am afraid I may be stuck with the same prospect. We will see. If I do go through the house, I will have to go through one of the bed rooms. No fun. We will see. Thanks for the input.

I am looking at doing the same thing. The boss's stipulation was that the chimney had to be run outside. Are you guys looking at going right through the concrete wall or framing in a window And going through that? I would have rather gone straight up through the house as I have learned here that's best but it would be hard to make work here so out the basement it is. Sparky, I'm specifically interested in how the pro is planning on doing it. Could you post or pm me?

I am looking at doing the same thing. The boss's stipulation was that the chimney had to be run outside. Are you guys looking at going right through the concrete wall or framing in a window And going through that? I would have rather gone straight up through the house as I have learned here that's best but it would be hard to make work here so out the basement it is. Sparky, I'm specifically interested in how the pro is planning on doing it. Could you post or pm me?
Hello there! Well essentially I live high ranch bungalow so my basement is only half below grade! So the stove guys is going to be punching out the top portion of the exterior wall as high as clearances will allow him to go! Then it will be straight into a "t" and up the wall 20' to extend past the roof!

Status
Not open for further replies.