Finishing cover too short & joint question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hesta

Mar 21, 2017
Idaho
We are doing a wall pass through. Using an 18" Class A (Ventis) to come through the wall from the tee, and a 12" Class A pipe is going to be too short. The 10" finishing cover that came with the thimble is going to be too short. The next size I've seen is 36", which is way too long, but I suppose we could get it cut down, but what would you use? I'm not sure tin snips would do the job.

I read on here that you can't put the joint in the thimble. So, how far away does the tee/Class A pipe joint need to be from the edge of the thimble opening? Can it be on the edge? We're really tight on the 2" combustible clearance due to the eave we have to run through.

You can get 18" and 24" or slip sections. They cannot be cut to length.

Reactions: Hesta
For the finishing cover? I haven't been able to find anything other than the 10" and the 36" from anyone who sells Ventis finishing covers.
Oh i was talking about the pipe. You could just cut the finishing collar. We order direct from olympia and they will make us anyting we need but you cant do that because you are not a pro.

Oh i was talking about the pipe. You could just cut the finishing collar. We order direct from olympia and they will make us anyting we need but you cant do that because you are not a pro.

No, not a pro, but Hart's Hearth can probably get what I need. That's who we ordered the pipe from. We tried to buy DuraTech, but they talked us into Ventis.

No, not a pro, but Hart's Hearth can probably get what I need. That's who we ordered the pipe from. We tried to buy DuraTech, but they talked us into Ventis.
Ventis is much better pipe anyway

If you need to, you can cut the 36" down with tin snips. Use both the red and green (left and right) snips together so that the cut out section curls up between the snips. Make your first cut about 1/2" off the final mark all the way around. Then let your final cut trim to the mark. Don't use yellow handle straight snips for any of the cuts. For easier cutting put a drop of oil on the snip's blade edges before cutting.

If you need to, you can cut the 36" down with tin snips. Use both the red and green (left and right) snips together so that the cut out section curls up between the snips. Make your first cut about 1/2" off the final mark all the way around. Then let your final cut trim to the mark. Don't use yellow handle straight snips for any of the cuts. For easier cutting put a drop of oil on the snip's blade edges before cutting.

Thanks. I'm going to see if we can get a shorter cover, but if we can't, that's good to know. I wasn't sure if we could cut metal that thick with snips, but I think it's the same thickness as the box, and we're supposed to be able to cut that with snips. Thanks for the tip on the oil.