Finishing slate hearth stone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TooColdHere

Jan 28, 2013
Kent Island, Maryland
Well, I finally had my break in fires in the new Alderlea T5 and am loving it...and this forum! Way too addictive with all the great questions and helpful members.
I have one to throw to you all. I have a 2 piece 40"x60" slate hearth that the stove sits upon. The slate looks kind of dull and shows the dust pretty quickly. Is there anything I can apply to get and keep a darker, shinier appearance? The stove is matte black so I think the contrast may look better. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Look for a tile and grout sealer with color enhancers.

You're welcome!

I used state for my hearth extension, and used a satin finish sealer. Really brings out the colors in the slate and gave it a slight shine, not too much though.

Reactions: TooColdHere
Here you go. Excuse the mess, improvements always seem to go through disaster phase first. Kitchen and wood floors coming.

Attachments

• Alderlea T5.JPG
    Alderlea T5.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 330
Nice! Those P.E. Alderlea stoves were on my short list when I was shopping.

Very nice. I used water based poly in satin as well. This is over a brick paver hearth that has been posted here often. Adds a little shine and makes them easier to clean up. No problems with heat as far as I can tell. Although it would show more on smooth slate than the brick so maybe test a spot before completely applying all of the area.

Looks nice! How did you buy a T5 with the decorative door? I recently purchased a T6 and couldn't get it with the decorative door.

One year I went with matte stone sealant (found at Home Depot or most any other big box hardware stores) for my slate hearth . . . switched to gloss stone sealant as I liked the finish a bit better. I seal the stones once a year at the start . . . for the look and protection.

Looks nice! How did you buy a T5 with the decorative door? I recently purchased a T6 and couldn't get it with the decorative door.

Ah no, what did they want to go and do that for?

Thanks! This was actually a 2010 unfired floor model that I got for a song! I called Pacific Energy and was surprised to hear the warranty wouldn't even start ticking until I purchased this past Feb? They also said I could get a non-decorative door if I wanted, as it was the only change made. I guess 2010 was the last year. (You may be able to check with PE directly?? Seem like great people.)

Thanks! This was actually a 2010 unfired floor model that I got for a song! I called Pacific Energy and was surprised to hear the warranty wouldn't even start ticking until I purchased this past Feb? They also said I could get a non-decorative door if I wanted, as it was the only change made. I guess 2010 was the last year. (You may be able to check with PE directly?? Seem like great people.)

I emailed them to see if I could get the decorative door, but they said it wasn't available. I'll send them some customer feedback and suggest adding the door back to their line up.

Happy Burning in your new stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.