Finshing my installlation and I have to make a decision.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
The Summit insert is in. The liner and block off plate are in. I'm working on the top of the chimney now. PE says a 15 foot chimney is minimum. I measured my liner and I have 15 feet one inch. This is a ranch house with the chimney epoxed to the outside on only one side, and its the skinny side. I'm concerned about draft. I have not insulated the liner. Should I just put the cap and top plate on and be done with it? Should I buy another terra cota flue tile and extend the chimney another foot? Would one more foot make much difference? Should I just see how it does and if I have problem insulate it next year?

It doesn't get really cold here and I'm concerned about draft. I just looked at our average temperatures and heres what I found.

Month low high
November 35 57
December 28 46
January 24 41
Febuary 25 46
March 33 56

As you can see, I'm going to be doing alot of burning when the temperature is in the 40's.

Thanks,

Karl

If you want to extend the liner, may I (plug) suggest an extendaflue unit, which adds 2 1/2 feet to 3 feet to the chimney, and you can run the liner up through it - a couple of members here have done it, and it works out well.
See:
http://www.extendaflue.com/images/linedrawingsflat.jpg

It just may work as-is in most weather....

If the liner is sealed at top and bottom, the air space should serve as some insulation. The main thing with chimneys like this is to start them up very hot so the air gets warm inside the chimney.......so rip through the first load of wood.

Karl, Glad you got that stove out of the hall and installed.PICS!

karl said:
The Summit insert is in. The liner and block off plate are in. I'm working on the top of the chimney now. PE says a 15 foot chimney is minimum. I measured my liner and I have 15 feet one inch. This is a ranch house with the chimney epoxed to the outside on only one side, and its the skinny side. I'm concerned about draft. I have not insulated the liner. Should I just put the cap and top plate on and be done with it? Should I buy another terra cota flue tile and extend the chimney another foot? Would one more foot make much difference? Should I just see how it does and if I have problem insulate it next year?

It doesn't get really cold here and I'm concerned about draft. I just looked at our average temperatures and heres what I found.

Month low high
November 35 57
December 28 46
January 24 41
Febuary 25 46
March 33 56

As you can see, I'm going to be doing alot of burning when the temperature is in the 40's.

Thanks,

Karl

I'd try it the way it is now and see how it works. You'll probably be fine unless you have a couple 90 degree bends in that 15'. They say subtract 5' of chimney for every 90 elbow.

I would give it a try and see how things go. I was up in the air as to whether or not to insulate my liner (I have the height, but it's an on an exterior wall) when I put the insert in last year. I decided to give it a try without and I'm glad I did. With just the 6" ss flex liner and no insulation (blockoff plate and sealed top) it drafts like crazy and burns very well.

You could do what I did Karl. I packed Rockwool insulation down the first five feet of my flue tiles around the liners down from the top. Between that and the retained heat (contrary to popular belief it is not going to be cold around that pipe in the flue tiles and brick when that stove is cranking) that pup should draft just fine. You are probably close to the elevation they were using for reference when they spec'ed the fifteen foot height. I am convinced that a stainless liner inside of flue tiles surrounded by an air space and bricks has to retain heat better than those solid packed exterior class a pipes. They just heat up faster.

Of course with too flues in my chimney and two stoves cranking all day not enough heat in the chimney is the last of my concerns. Now too much heat...

BrotherBart said:
You could do what I did Karl. I packed Rockwool insulation down the first five feet of my flue tiles around the liners down from the top. Between that and the retained heat (contrary to popular belief it is not going to be cold around that pipe in the flue tiles and brick when that stove is cranking) that pup should draft just fine. You are probably close to the elevation they were using for reference when they spec'ed the fifteen foot height. I am convinced that a stainless liner inside of flue tiles surrounded by an air space and bricks has to retain heat better than those solid packed exterior class a pipes. They just heat up faster.

Of course with too flues in my chimney and two stoves cranking all day not enough heat in the chimney is the last of my concerns. Now too much heat...
BB where do you get those great avtars from. :question:

budman said:

People send me the things. Internet care packages I guess. Checks would be better.

BrotherBart said:
budman said:

People send me the things. Internet care packages I guess. Checks would be better.
I hear you loud and clear :)

I don't have any 90 degree bends. Really no bends at all. It's more like a lazy arc as it goes through the damper. I'm going to cut it off at fifteen feet this weekend and then all I have to do is the tile work around the stove and build my hearth extension and I can call the inspector.

karl said:
I don't have any 90 degree bends. Really no bends at all. It's more like a lazy arc as it goes through the damper. I'm going to cut it off at fifteen feet this weekend and then all I have to do is the tile work around the stove and build my hearth extension and I can call the inspector.
Karl, you have up date your signature now.(sitting in my fire place now) ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.